Intercooler pipe

CJRH

Now don’t shoot me down in flames! I’m at the stage of sorting out the intercooler pipe work, what do people think of using 51mm / 2inch waist pipe as an alternative to expensive stainless pipe? My only concern is the pressures involved.

Chris

I used aluminium pipe. You could also use exhaust tubing from the motor factors, but it would need painting obviously.

I wouldnt use plastic - too much risk of it getting melted for one.

Also i found I needed to flare the ends of the metal pipes to stop the rubber hoses popping off under full boost. You cant do that with plastic obivously. and yes, before any bright spark comes up with it, the hose clips were new, decent quality and done up tight!

Jon

Cheers Jon, I'll see what aluminium pipe I can get hold off.

Chris

If you lack access to flairing equipment you could try using a 2 part epoxy to form a bead around the pipe.

G.

i did the same as Timmy511, but i had to shorten the tubes. i've also replaced some of the flexible hoses with silicon ones, only because the rubber ones were breaking down and it was cheaper to get silicon

Thanks for all of the replies. I’ve got silicon hose for all of the bends. The intercooler is actually mounted above the engine so I just need straight pipe between the bends.

Chris