power steering pumps

My pump threw it's hand in last night (fluid all over the bay...) so I'm looking for a replacement.

The TD and 200TDi pumps appear the same so they will fit without mods from the look of it - anyone know what else will fit without major pain and grief?

The set up at the moment is the standard 200tdi really short belt running from the crank, no seperate tensioner etc.

On the same subject - should I just bin the old pump or is it worth looking a refurb? Paddock sell a kit for <£5, but the bearing has gone on the front at least so I would be looking at quite a few other parts.

Finally - steering is V heavy without the pump (even once moving), any tips for making it easier for the time being, I was wondering about draining the system (well emptying out what was left!)

THe tensioner is the pump mounting plate, use a 1/2 inch square drive to tension in the hole provided, don't thnk there's anyway to make it feel lighter without the pump, only the 2 you have identified will be a easy fit but get the pump with the same connections as the duff one or you'll be changing pipes too

Thanks, looks like I will be on the look out for a defender NA/TD/200TDi or disco 1 200TDi pump only then.

I think I know a place pretty local which will make pipes if needed, but if I can just get a straight swap it would be ideal.

I guess if I had a bunch of pumps in my hand I could make some of the others sit in the right place, but it would mean getting custom pipes - which may mean hassles later if one splits, it won't be a quick or easy fix.

think my power steering pump is dying aswell, its intermittantly heavy to steer and i can feel the pump jolting the wheel sometimes. Dont think it liked all the water its been through. opps. Can I just drain it and re-fill it? Anytips for doing this?

Thanks

Andy

Having had a little look at mine there is no obvious way of refurbing it. The front has a cage bearing - probably be able to find the right size once took apart, however there is no obvious way to split the case.

Flushing it through I guess could be done by disconnecting the right hose from the resevoir and fitting a big bucket of fluid instead, and another bucket to the other pipe, would presumably pump all the fluid through and you could stop when happy.

If anyone is interested I will take some pictures of the pump when I can strip it (i.e. when I have another and don't need it for reference).