Side hinged door for soft top - tips 'n tricks?

Hi,

I just converted my D90 to soft top a couple of weeks ago, and so far I love it!

One thing that bothers me is the standard bottom hinged tailgate. Its a real pain getting stuff in and out from the rear, so I am thinking of cutting my old standard rear door in half a making it a side hinged tailgate.

I know several others have performed this operation, but I have searched the forums for threads with details on how to do it, without much luck..

I am looking for a few pictures, and maybe few details on exactly where to cut, and what parts/materials are need to complete the door after cutting, to make the door look nice.

Christian

It'd be easier to convert your existing tailgate to side opening.

Get the bottom two hinges from a hard top rear door, remove the two existing hinge brackets from the tailgate and the RHS "loop" that the locking pin goes through. Bolt the door hinges to the RHS of the tailgate and the back body. The existing LHS loop and locking pin will hold the door closed.

This shows mine, possibly makes it clearer than the above description :)

Click on the image to see a larger version for more detail, ignore the box in the middle of the tailgate, that was added when the spare was stored on the floor.

normal_21-22_244.jpg

It'd be easier to convert your existing tailgate to side opening.

Get the bottom two hinges from a hard top rear door, remove the two existing hinge brackets from the tailgate and the RHS "loop" that the locking pin goes through. Bolt the door hinges to the RHS of the tailgate and the back body. The existing LHS loop and locking pin will hold the door closed.

This shows mine, possibly makes it clearer than the above description :)

Click on the image to see a larger version for more detail, ignore the box in the middle of the tailgate, that was added when the spare was stored on the floor.

normal_21-22_244.jpg

I thought of doing that as well.

But was considering the other option because..

- I wanted the "real" locking ability of the normal rear door (the loop and locking pin conflicts a bit with the back of my soft top)

- I wanted a more robust door (i think the tailgate is a biit flimsy..)

.. and finally because I think it could be a fun project :-)

Exellent picture, by the way :-)

Christian

Christian,

are the tailgates different over there? Mine's an alloy box frame with a galv steel lining and must weigh more than any defender rear door (excluding glass)? Certainly seems a lot stronger.

Also, mine is the stock drop down but the two locking pins are stock/work fine with the rag top so not sure why this doesn't work for you?

But ..

.. and finally because I think it could be a fun project :-)

is the perfect reason to be different, good luck and post pics :D

As Mark ^^^ posted Nige should provide some inspiration.

Fun projects are always the best !

If you change your mind and want a proper lock then you can fit one, I wanted something simple and reliable... which is unusual for me as I normally get accused of making things over complicated :) There was also the problem that 6 months before I adapted it a tree jumped out behind me while I was reversing and put a dent in it where the lock would fit !

If you look at the picture you can just see, on the LHS, the edge of a hole. This is where the handle from a front RHS door lock or rear door lock mechanism goes. By drilling a hole for the handle to come through and a hole for the lock barrel you can mount the assembly on the inside of the tail gate. My tailgate was originally a side opening tailgate (from a NAS Defender) I swapped for some EFi bits many years ago but until last year I used it as a traditional drop down one.

Nothing against chopping rear doors in half though, there's half a rear door on mine... only I used the top half :)

Exellent picture, by the way :-)

Yep, wish I was there again this year...

Lots more pics at:

http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/imageg...s.php?album=101

and a couple of videos in my sig.