This is better than a murder mystery !!

DC_

Thought i'd post this in a few sections as i know there maybe similar faults.............

Alright guys, thought i would post this as no doubt there might be a few thoughts.

Sigh........................

Took the RRC for it's first test drive after getting it running again after the wires fried last weekend. So, after starting it after we sorted it, it started and ran fine in my opinion from what i am used to. However, starting it tonight it took 2 turns which is unlike it. Then fired up but reved up a bit higher than normal before spluttering and coming to rest back to normal revs. When i started the run it did chug a bit. So, getting onto the main 60mph road towards the next town,i got to about 55mph then it started to cough and splutter then cut out. Battery lights never came on straight away but after about 15-20 secs they did. So managed to roll into the side safely, Checked if it would crank over which it did, then checked all wiring for anything suspect. After a few mins i tried again, nothing, like it wasn't getting either a spark or fuel. Had a little wiggle round at the coil and checked all fuses for fuel but all seemed fine. Tried her again, and she fired up, but this time it sounded better with no coughs.

So, got to the next town and sat in line at the traffic lights, few mins later,after setting off, the battery light came on. Drove for about a minute, and it went back off. Then came back on and stayed on until i got to a car park. Took out the multi meter while it was running and the battery wasn't getting the 14 volts as it was when Nick tested it during the week after getting it up and running again.

Tested the volts coming out of the ALT, and still only 12 volts. One thing i did notice was the ALT was very hot indeed, i don't know if this was due to the LPG cooling pipes being a little close to it, or should it be that hot??

So went into the shops for about 20 mins. Came back to start her up and she did. Battery light was out and the multi meter was reading 14 volts now coming out and getting to the battery???

Blooming landies i tell ye !!!

Drove 7 miles to get home and all was fine.........................

I think I'm for getting rather pi$$ed tonight ;)

I'm going to replace the wire from ALT to solenoid as i think this may have been damaged or on its way out?

Got another coil that i'm going to try also incase the one on it has been damaged and isn't performing under load?

New ALT by the way. Don't know if they nice AA men wired it up correctly when they changed over the old one?

No need to post it everywhere! the 'view new posts' function brings it up 3 times and if it relates to more than one model people usually seem to use the 'international' forum ...

Plus people who reply would need to check all three threads to know if they are just repeating what's already been said.

I never see any posts regarding Disco faults or defender faults as i don't subscribe to them and i rarely go into them, so hence the reason for posting in different sections.

I'd check for shorts on the big wires, I've seen similar things (terrible misfiring etc.) on RR's due to either dying batteries, shorting battery positive/alternator wires, or alternators which have died.

Follow the wires from battery to starter to alternator checking for ANY chafing, burnt bits, touching bits of engine etc. and check the insulated positive binding post on the body (inner wing/bulkhead from memory) as if that's dead and shorting out it could cause fireworks :o

Cheers Fridge, just waiting til it's dark here until i go down and fire her up and see if there's any NON friendly light ups.

New battery last weekend,. new ALT in March............

Just been down, started up no probs, sounding good.

SPARKS i tell ye SPARKS !!!

Coming from the solenoid starter department. So at least there's a big clue.........................Lead from ALT to solenoid faulty??