Perplexed about noise

Reng

I have noticed a steadily increasing noise from the Disco as I drive it.

It started as a slight whistle when accelerating and has now become a louder almost screech as you accelerate and more load is placed on the drive train. It is loader as the Auto box changes down gears and then almost disappears when final lock up occurs It dos not seem to be on the outlet manifold and does not appear when revving the engine at standstill, this may be because there is no load. The mechanic has checked all the turbo pipes and indicates they are OK.

What should I check first – as I suspect it may be somewhere in the drive train?

Vehicle is Disco 2, TD5, AC,Ace

If it is a mechanical noise rather than air escaping it sounds like something might be slipping in the autobox to me. I'd check the autobox oil level asap as low oil might not help. How many miles on the vehicle?

Maybe a bearing? Have you checked water pump or the idler gears?

I will check these - would the noise increse with engine revs/load? Shoild I be able to hear the noise all the time if these are the problem.

If it is a mechanical noise rather than air escaping it sounds like something might be slipping in the autobox to me. I'd check the autobox oil level asap as low oil might not help. How many miles on the vehicle?

it seems to be mechanical - but it is difficult to diaganose as you cannot hear it when stationary. The vehicle has done 140000 Km. I have had a reduction in the effectiveness of the Aircon can they be related as the aircon becomes useless when the vehicle is hot and outsids temps are over 30 degrees.

In the last two weeks I have had the Aircon pully come of and damage fan and radiator which have both been replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies so far i will get the torque converter checked out,

Had my regular workshop have listen and they say it is the center box on the exhaust system that may be blocked and causing the now loud noise on acceleration. They have said a straight trough pipe can be fitted with little increase in noise. Does the diagnosis make sense.