Numax CVX battery

Bluemoon

I have a Numax CVX battery, which I use in the back of the Defender for the fridge and stuff, usually hemmed in by lots of gear, but last week the dog knock it on its side, smelt a bit of rotton eggs which the dog got the blame for, but now I think there must have been a slight leak, as the battery was flat for the first time ever at the weekend and the green indictor only shows if the battery is shaken. There are two small vents either side , should I try and top up( there are maintenance free) or do you think I'm on a losing battle.

cheers Brian

I would also say, clamp the battery down securely. As if you have an accident then that will make rather a nasty mess of you or the dog. I certainly wouldn't want my dog around things which could spill acid onto it.

Jon

I bought a couple recently and a mate borrowed one to jump start his Rangie (regularly, while waiting for Land Rover to take car in under warranty :rolleyes: ) Unfortunately it fell over and acid leaked over the boot liner and onto the carpet - which promptly rotted :blink:

I'd guess that normally the battery looses electrolyte through evaporation thus the remaining fluid is stronger and adding water fills it up but also dilutes it back to its normal pH. If you've actually lost acid then topping up with water would dilute it until it is weaker than original.