Workshop manuals

Do workshop manuals exist in electronic form?

I wouldnt mind getting my hands on a copy if there is! My reason being, it might be handy having this information to hand in Africa?

Where would I get an actual hard copy if one does not exist electronically? Might be handy if this is the case, to just rip out all the unnecessary pages to save space & weight.

Martin

Do workshop manuals exist in electronic form?

I wouldnt mind getting my hands on a copy if there is! My reason being, it might be handy having this information to hand in Africa?

Where would I get an actual hard copy if one does not exist electronically? Might be handy if this is the case, to just rip out all the unnecessary pages to save space & weight.

Martin

There are some here: On my site

Or, maybe, just perhaps, you could take a look in the Tech archive....... :o;):P

Thing with the tech archive (as far as I can tell) is that it is a collection of threads on very specific subjects. If I were needing info for doing some job myself, at home, then this is where I would look.

As I want to have some information available that I could pass on if needs be, to a random mechanic in the middle of Africa, then I reckon a workshop manual would be better, as I obviously wont have t'interweb connection on tap to look up this info.

Martin

You can download them off the interweb, as they've said, but i'd advise having both software and a hard copy, if you only have a laptop copy and your laptop goes t*ts up (and they always do it at the most inconvenient time!) then you're buggered!

not only that, but if (heaven forbid) you get robbed or have the vehicle broken into, who's going to nick an old workshop manual over a shiny laptop?

;)

I mainly just use the parts catalog in PDF form. Shows you where all the bits go and what to expect when pulling something apart. Plus, obviously, you have the part numbers for ordering replacements.

It has been suggested to me that taking a hard copy of a workshop manual is overkill?

The reason I thought about it was if I ever needed to take the vehicle to a mechanic in Africa, he would have access to technical information if needs be.

The suggestion, went on to, er, suggest that I take a Haynes manual hard copy, and the workshop manual electronically.

And where would I get a PDF parts catalogue from then? Then may be handy to have if the diagrams are exploded?

Martin

And where would I get a PDF parts catalogue from then? Then may be handy to have if the diagrams are exploded?

It is very handy. I have it on another machine that I'm having a palava with getting the motherboard replaced, so I've no access to it at the moment.

I passed it around the forum a few times over the last few years so I'm sure someone could host it. It's about 20Mb from memory.

I could do with it myself :rolleyes:

I think for your trip, I'd have a hardcopy of it just for a worst-case scenario as suggested above.

(edited to add, that the parts cat would be useful to point at the pictures to your bush mechanic, whereas the workshop manual is lots and lots of text, with some diagrams)

The Land Rover One Ten (1987 Model) Parts Catalogue is on my site under "Defender, Ninety & One Ten Manuals"

If anyone has a later version or a manual/parts catalogue that I am missing, I would appreciate a copy. I can give you a FTP address to upload to and I will add it to the site.

Thing with the tech archive (as far as I can tell) is that it is a collection of threads on very specific subjects. If I were needing info for doing some job myself, at home, then this is where I would look.

As I want to have some information available that I could pass on if needs be, to a random mechanic in the middle of Africa, then I reckon a workshop manual would be better, as I obviously wont have t'interweb connection on tap to look up this info.

Martin

Bish is pointing you to the section in the tech archive which is called "manuals", rather than suggesting that you access it on line!

If you look in the index and scroll down, you will come across links to all sorts of manuals.

Cheers

Martin