Bit O/T, help with my Overland website logo

Can anybody help me with a logo for my website?

I know absolutely nothing about this web design malarky, so am teaching myself as I go along.

I would like a nice logo for the site, but have no idea how to go about creating one from scratch.

I have come up with something like this:

post-3030-1244397746_thumb.jpg

But this is made up entirely of clip art I have found on the net, and stuck together in a word document, then edited in Photoshop.

Actually, I rather like it. Apart from that Land Rover on top. It looks a bit wrong to me? Does anybody have any suggestions on how to better this design, perhaps with a different Defender being used.

Any other feedback or suggestions gratefully received.

Martin

I dont really want something with my own vehicle on it. I dont want it to look like a photograph sitting on top of clip art.

I quite like what I have come up with so far, but if I could change the vehicle part of it to look more like some of those Avatars some people have?

Martin

maybe it could be animated so the LR is sat on top with the globe rotating underneath it [as though the LRis driving] or put a LR on the equator line with the globe rotating, so it looks like it's driving around the world.

Ralph, that is almost exactly what I had in mind originally!

I ideally want a globe that looks sort of cartoon-ish (but not exactly) with a Land Rover driving around the top in side-on view. Not my own vehicle, but one that is generic, i.e could either be a Series or a Defender, but unmistakably a Land Rover.

I would want the globe to rotate but the text & LR to remain stationary.

Now all THAT is well beyond my capabilities; I had to get Jude to help me with some parts of what we have so far.

Martin

Before this gets locked for OT-ness...

I just ran an online competition for a logo for my business. You can set the amount of 'prize money' (which you will have to pay at the end to the winner), and write a brief, and sit back and watch the entries roll in from around the globe!

Mine ran for about a week and I had 60-odd entries. You can give feedback to each designer as they submit stuff, and they will tweak it according to your comments (in fact you're positively encouraged to).

Its great. I had an idea of what I thought I wanted, but in the end I got something totally different that I wouldn't have thought of.

Here is the website, hope it helps: http://99designs.com

Al.