Silverstone tyres

BFG MT and Cooper ST are both available in 285 75 16 as is the Insa Turbo special track but if your bothered about road manners I would look at the BFG's

I know they are not 285 85 but thats a pretty rare size, as you have probably found.

Brookers

BFG MT and Cooper ST are both available in 285 75 16 as is the Insa Turbo special track but if your bothered about road manners I would look at the BFG's

I know they are not 285 85 but thats a pretty rare size, as you have probably found.

Brookers

I have found out 285/85/16 is rare. The 285/75/16 is not tall enought.

Paul

I used them some years ago after someone won the Malaysian RFC on a set. I think they were a copy of a Goodyear tyre that was standard equipment on Volvo C303's of which the Malaysian military had a couple of thousand. I went through 2 sets over about 40,000 miles. Off road they were about the most indestructable tyre I'd ever had, even when run at 2 to 4 psi on sharpish rocks. Traction wise they weren't too bad in deep mud going forward. Not too good in reverse. On firm but slippery clay or loose rocky gradients they weren't a patch on Simex ET's or Interco Q78 TSL Super Swampers. To improve their off road performance a few of us would break up the continuous centre rib with a tyre groover, sharp knife or angle grinder.

Bill.

I used them some years ago after someone won the Malaysian RFC on a set. I think they were a copy of a Goodyear tyre that was standard equipment on Volvo C303's of which the Malaysian military had a couple of thousand. I went through 2 sets over about 40,000 miles. Off road they were about the most indestructable tyre I'd ever had, even when run at 2 to 4 psi on sharpish rocks. Traction wise they weren't too bad in deep mud going forward. Not too good in reverse. On firm but slippery clay or loose rocky gradients they weren't a patch on Simex ET's or Interco Q78 TSL Super Swampers. To improve their off road performance a few of us would break up the continuous centre rib with a tyre groover, sharp knife or angle grinder.

Bill.

Thanks Bill, the creepy crawlers I have now are just over 1/2 worn having done 13,000 miles. So I was looking for something that will last longer and not as wide. I know someone that used up a set of Simex in 6000 miles :huh: plus as I only do laneing then simex is a bit much.

It is just a case of finding out what the "true" size of the mt117s is now.

Paul

Hankook do their RT03 mud tyre in 295/75/16 and 315/75/16. The 295 is strangely much cheaper than the 285/75 and a little taller.

The other option is 255/85/16 which fit the Landcruiser very nicely. However not many people offer them now, only BFG MT that I can find?

Hankook do their RT03 mud tyre in 295/75/16 and 315/75/16. The 295 is strangely much cheaper than the 285/75 and a little taller.

The other option is 255/85/16 which fit the Landcruiser very nicely. However not many people offer them now, only BFG MT that I can find?

Well I did look at the Hankooks, the 295/75/16 = 33.4x11.6/16 so not enought hight, same for the 315. I have just got rid of a 255/85/16 cooper sst MT, but that was 33" tall. The XZL 255/100/16 comes out a lot taller and would suite.

Well Bill, if that is the case then not enough hight. Maxxis are doing a Creepy Crawler in 255/85/16, but again not not tall enough. Fedima have got the right tread pattern but not the right tread pattern for me.

I have also looked at the kuhmo kl71, but again too wide.

Paul

The guy I bought my Landcruiser steels off (they had 255/85/16 Coopers on when I bought them) was running 255/100/16 XZLs on his expedition equiped LC 80 and they seemed to fit very nicely. Plenty of hieght (36"), but not so wide they stuck out of the arches and not too aggresive for road work, like the Fedima is. He had struggled balancing them, but is now running balancing beads with good effect. They have a high load rating, again making them good for expedition work.

Interco used to do the original Super Swamper TSL in 35.5x11.5x16, but I don't know if they do it anymore, or where you'd get them.

I might be overlooking something obvious but why are you making life hard for yourself Paul if you are just laning. Surely 'normal' sized tyres or Gods own tyre the 255/85x16 BFG MT would suffice. Have you dropped the gearing a mile or something so need the tyres to bring it back to something sensible?

Will :)

The guy I bought my Landcruiser steels off (they had 255/85/16 Coopers on when I bought them) was running 255/100/16 XZLs on his expedition equiped LC 80 and they seemed to fit very nicely. Plenty of hieght (36"), but not so wide they stuck out of the arches and not too aggresive for road work, like the Fedima is. He had struggled balancing them, but is now running balancing beads with good effect. They have a high load rating, again making them good for expedition work.

Interco used to do the original Super Swamper TSL in 35.5x11.5x16, but I don't know if they do it anymore, or where you'd get them.

Would his name have been Ian by any chance? If it is he has offered me his tyres. But I would need wheel spacers as they are Hilux wheels and not enough offset.

I might be overlooking something obvious but why are you making life hard for yourself Paul if you are just laning. Surely 'normal' sized tyres or Gods own tyre the 255/85x16 BFG MT would suffice. Have you dropped the gearing a mile or something so need the tyres to bring it back to something sensible?

Will :)

Not changed the gearing yet, but I do have some 4.88 diffs to drop in. I dont just lane, I like to find lanes that have not been driven for years (yes you can still find them). It is like having a inch for laneing, I do not need it (rope lives in the back most of the time) but it is there for if I ever do.

But with the new job I have I will be doing less miles and less laneing so I might just go for one of the simex copies. I would go for BFGs but to get the hight I want they are like most tyres, too wide. If I could get a BFG in something like a 35/11/16 I would get some.

Paul