Cooper discoverer STC

I'm after some tyres for our 110 for Spain and Morocco, i saw on a site the Cooper Discoverer ST-C, which looked ideal for the driving we'll be doing, but i've looked everywhere and i can't find them, does anyone know if they're still available?

failing that, it's a toss-up between BFG AT's in 285/75/16 and Cooper Discoverer STT in the same size.

which would be better for mainly dry, dusty, gravelly, sandy, rocky conditions?

(i'm thinking the BFG's)

Oh, and can anyone recommend a good puncture repair kit? (for off road use of course!)

thanks

MT's tend to dig you into sand, so AT's are probably more suitable. STT's are a mud rating too on the Coopers.

Try Sinton Tyres for COOPER ST's, I am after a set of 255/85/16's for my desert trip next year.

Let me know if you find any at a good price!

John

MT's tend to dig you into sand, so AT's are probably more suitable. STT's are a mud rating too on the Coopers.

Try Sinton Tyres for COOPER ST's, I am after a set of 255/85/16's for my desert trip next year.

Let me know if you find any at a good price!

John

I thought as much, i saw a few pictures of defenders in deserty terrain that had the STT's, so thought i'd check, but i was reasonably sure that mud tyres are bad in sand.

i'll be going for the AT's then!

as far as pricing, i found Silverline 4x4 were pretty good on prices, they're a new Cooper 'power seller' so apparently their prices are low due to the amount they buy in, they have adverts in a few mags and the wheel/tyre packages look very well priced...

Nothing wrong with the STT's in sand, and they are particularly good on harmada (robust and don't get chewed up on sharp rocks, very good aired down).

They can feel a bit like they are biting in to the sand on deep soft sand when above 25psi, but aired down they float well and I've had no probs at long periods of 10-15psi on very hot sand.

I've done about 4-5k on hamada/piste/sand and the same on tarmac with this set - they have worn very well indeed.

Haven't tried ST pattern or BFG to compare, but I would have no hesitation in buying STT's again. Have travelled with people on ST pattern and they also had no probs.

Hmm, the plot thickens! i like the look of the STT's, but am more bothered about performance, i heard the STT's were really good, and cheaper than the BFG AT's, i'll have a look at prices and see how much difference there is.

Eightpot, how are the STT's on the road? do they affect MPG much?

I've been looking for the ST-C as well and as far as I can tell it's only available in Australia. I spoke to Milners about them and they said they would need to have a container load to get any.

The ST-C is a different compound, designed to withstand more abuse to the sidewall. If you find anyone who will import some, I'd be interested in some!

I think the STC is an ST with a tread compound more resistant to Chipping than the regular ones. Reading Aus & NZ mags, the std STs had problems with the treads chunking out when being used over gravel plains, what the Aussies call "gibber" country. The STC was a revised version to combat this. I imagine it would do OK in the stonier parts of North Africa.

Steve

Cooper Discoverer ST-C were very recently listed by neumaticos-online.com in Spain, but they have now disappeared from their listing. There is a UK branch of this company or franchise called mytyres.co.uk. It might be worth asking them.

John