Freelander Engine Swap

simonr

What I'm interested in is, if someone has put another type of engine, not normally fitted to a Freelander in one - how have you persuaded the ABS / ETC / HDC / Speedo to work?

Do you just leave the original ECU in place and remove enough of the loom from the engine that the ECU is still connected to all the vehicle systems - but as far as it is concerned, the engine present but is not running?

Someone must have solved this - for another type of car even if not for a Freelander.

Si

Beady.com who built the first racing freelander about 10 years ago runs a 1.8 with individual throttle bodies not the one which the rover system runs so people have done away with the rover efi system.

he is the guy that help me get started racing freelander although I was three years behind him.

Thanks Jules, I'll take a look!

Having looked at the circuit diagrams - there is a Central control unit (CCU) and the ECU plus the ABS Controller are hung off that.

I'm rather hoping that it will still function without the ECU connected at all. If not, with the ECU but without the engine.

The freelander is pretty mich stripped now - I'll start building it back up once the motor mounts come back from being laser-cut.

Si

Depends what you're aiming for, retaining all the electrics but with a different engine or just having a working car minus all the gubbins. I don't think the early Freebie systems are particularly strongly tied together.

I'm hoping for the former!

Si

• 3 weeks later...