engine/gearbox

Hello, just signed up to LR4x4 and was wondering if someone could help me, I have a 1990 def 90 which i am re-building, i purchased a 300tdi lump and it's r380 box from a crashed disco, and a new 300 galv chassis. I am having trouble with gear stick position being too far back in the cab when engine lined up on mounts, I was advised by an apparent expert that it would fit with the use of the disco g/box mounting bracket. Have i got the wrong box or am i just missing something :blink: Any help on this matter would be much appreciated, cheers, Fionn.

Hello, just signed up to LR4 and was wondering if someone could help me, I have a 1990 def 90 which i am re-building, i purchased a 300tdi lump and it's r380 box from a crashed disco, and a new 300 galv chassis. I am having trouble with gear stick position being too far back in the cab when engine lined up on mounts, I was advised by an apparent expert that it would fit with the use of the disco g/box mounting bracket. Have i got the wrong box or am i just missing something :blink: Any help on this matter would be much appreciated, cheers, Fionn.

I'm not sure whether the R380 is the same as the LT77 in this respect, but for an LT77 box to be used in a Defender and have the levers in the correct position it must be of the "longstick" variety. The shifter turret is further forward. I dont think you can easily swap the shift mechanism over to change a Disco box to Defender, so it may be easier to source another box.

Someone else might be able to jump in with a more concrete answer. :huh:

Discovery gearbox can be used if you want the gear levers furthe back where the centre seat or cubby box should fit, but it would be easier to fit the correct Defender R380 from a 300Tdi Defender.

it's possible to change a Disco box to Defender spec, but it's a full gearbox strip & fit the defender selector parts so the gear lever is in the correct place.

Discovery gearbox can be used if you want the gear levers furthe back where the centre seat or cubby box should fit, but it would be easier to fit the correct Defender R380 from a 300Tdi Defender.

it's possible to change a Disco box to Defender spec, but it's a full gearbox strip & fit the defender selector parts so the gear lever is in the correct place.

And presumably you need a Defender R380 to rob for the parts?