td5 autobox

yella 90

ive got the chance of getting a autobox from a disco2

so im looking to convert my td5 90 to auto.

space is very limited, that limited that ive had to move the engine and gearbox back, and have my 200tdi props shortend and lengthend.

does anyone no what the overall length of the td5 autobox is vs the std r380 ??

ino about the torque converter issue

but what else do i need ? are they a " compushift "?? which confuses me.... im a virgin to autos :lol:

what bits of loom will i need

any ecu ?

and will it plug direct into my ecu serial ports when removing the corresponding blanking plugs ?

cheers guys

dan :lol:

<creak> sound of can of worms opening....

No it isn't an Ashcroft compushift though I expect you could make it work with this.

The auto gearbox ECU in the D2 installation talks to the Td5 engine ECU and I suspect the whole thing would be a nightmare to install and get working to the original spec. If you do manage it, post up the story :)

<creak> sound of can of worms opening....

No it isn't an Ashcroft compushift though I expect you could make it work with this.

The auto gearbox ECU in the D2 installation talks to the Td5 engine ECU and I suspect the whole thing would be a nightmare to install and get working to the original spec. If you do manage it, post up the story :)

hmm, zf box from a tdi and fit bellhousing from a td5 ?

or is there a way of converting the td5 box ?

ill be removing the box from a scrapper, so i will be able to get everthing :huh::huh:

at this rate it'll be staying a man as im confused before i even start :lol::lol:

I think at one point Ashcroft were doing it like that - the purely hydraulic Tdi box with a Td5 torque converter and bellhousing, but not 100% sure about the details. It's probably the "easiest" way of doing it but I'm sure the Compushifted one works well once you get it up and running. I don't know how the change points on the Tdi box work with a Td5 but they can't really be any worse than the "rev the 'llocks off it" shift technique that the Td5 box uses.

The Tdi auto changes gear by means of hydro pressure opening valves to change the gears at the right time. The Td5 auto uses 'lectrickery to do the same thing. It may be possible to get it working with the original ECUs, but the consensus seems to be that it is a nightmare - needing the original gearbox ECU to talk to the engine ECU and the body ECU as well as probably the alarm ECU and then lying to them all to get them to cooperate with one another to get the job done. Ashcrofts sell a 'Compushift' system (Compushift is the name of the system, not a generic name) which is a black box that does all the maths and sends the right amount of 'lectrickery to the right bit of the box at the right time. You can change shift points, lock-ups and all sorts with it. If I went auto, I would Compushift. :)

Chris

does anyone no what the overall length of the td5 autobox is vs the std r380 ??

IIRC talking to Dave at Ashcrofts, they are almost same length.

ino about the torque converter issue

but what else do i need ? are they a " compushift "?? which confuses me.... im a virgin to autos :lol:

what bits of loom will i need

any ecu ?

and will it plug direct into my ecu serial ports when removing the corresponding blanking plugs ?

cheers guys

dan :lol:

Using existing D2 gearbox ECU and wiring is possible but is a lot of hardwork. Two alternatives as has already been suggested use Compushift or convert box to hydraulic. Compushift is better, but hydraulic works ok.

Try to get gearshift, linkages etc, cooler and all pipework, pedals etc. too

When I spoke to Dave about this he recommended changing out torque converter to larger P38 one if you have a remap or stage 2 tune.

Cheers

Steve