Lathe Question - Off Topic

stuck

Sorry this is so off topic but do any of you chaps know how to take out the backlash from the cross slide on a Mk 1 Colchester Student?

Bit of a longshot but I'm sure somebody will know! :D

Cheers,

Mick.

It can be sorted, I made a new screw and nut for a student and it was no big deal, You should be able to make your own on the lathe you have, you can get Acme taps if you dont fancy internal screw cutting, grind your own tools and a good job is acheivable with little cost,

Carl.

Ehm Lots!

If I get hold of the cross slide I can move it in and out by approx 3mm! :o

Is it dead?

Cheers for the reply Carl,

Mick.

Don't worry about it, that's not bad for an old machine! Remember backlash is taken up when applying the cut,(the most important thing is to make sure all your ways and headstock bearings are adjusted correctly) when on a cut:

1. touch the work with the tool and zero dial or make a note of the reading...

2. apply the cut eg .020

3. when cut is finished back of tool and return to start...

4. return dial to zero+.020 and add next cut eg.010

5. then either apply cut or zero dial if its adjustable and make a note of the cuts you have taken(you should do this anyway!) and then make your cut

and so on...

Cheers FKD

3mm is a lot, the nut probably is about to go;-)

I don't think backlash matters a great deal.

I was going to make a new nut and screw for my CVA, a suggestion of someones was

to scrounge a worn leadscrew from myfords[he lives near them] and use the unworn

bit. He made a tap from part of the unworn leadscrew.

I have the same problem as you on my mk1.5 col student

I made a couple of phone calls to companies enquiring about a new screw and nut and they were about £400 for both so I just live with it now! It really doesnt make much difference, if you follow FKD's advice

If i get time I may make a new one, although mine has taper turning attachment which may make it a tad more complicated. I very much like the idea of useing the part of the screw that isnt worn to make a tap!