Changing Disco interior

J@mes

The interior on my 300TDi 3 door disco absolutely hums of wet dogs. I have tried many things to get rid of it - shampooing the carpets/seats, fabreeze, neutradols/ air freshners etc all to no use!

so, is it easy to change the seats/doorcards/ carpets/ headlining or not? and are 5 door interiors compatible or not?

The interior on my 300TDi 3 door disco absolutely hums of wet dogs. I have tried many things to get rid of it - shampooing the carpets/seats, fabreeze, neutradols/ air freshners etc all to no use!

I had this problem, I then found if you manage to spear a 5 litre can of 15w50 in the boot, where most of the smell probably is, not realise for about a month, you find it covers the smell very very well. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you need to kill the bacteria, so try getting some shampoo which is designed to disinfect at the same time, failing that, try some kitchen cleaning stuff, just avoid anything that has bleach in it!

I had this problem, I then found if you manage to spear a 5 litre can of 15w50 in the boot, where most of the smell probably is, not realise for about a month, you find it covers the smell very very well. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you need to kill the bacteria, so try getting some shampoo which is designed to disinfect at the same time, failing that, try some kitchen cleaning stuff, just avoid anything that has bleach in it!

How about getting those women from "How clean is your house" ??

More seriously, either

(1) Go over all the interior with Autoglym interior shampoo. Use it according to the instructions and it does work. It can be expensive, so go to a factors and get a big container of it as well as one of the spray units. It does the headliner as well.

(2) Pay one of those mobile valet services to have the whole car done to showroom standard. About £60 should do it.

I use the Autoglym after each shooting system, because my Labradors don't understand the word "stay" as well as they should.

PS - Anyone got a Dog Guard I can buy for a Disco 1 V8? :angry:

One of the main causes of persisten smells in carpets and upholstery is bacteria :huh: . The best you can do is to use something that will kill the bacteria.

I have successfully used Dettol and in extreme cases TCP. both of which are strong anti bacterial agents, without bleaching properties. This is especially effective with milk spills and other nice things that kids tend to do from time to time. :(

Take the dettol in a strong mix with hot water and sponge it into the carpets and upholstery making sure you get a good soaking on into the fabric. Then allow to dry properly in the sun with the windows and doors open. :unsure: This should take at least a day or more. Thereafter you can use one of the commercial shampoos to make nice smells, using the same methodology.

Good luck I know how irritating the smell is. :D

Its well worth getting rid of the carpet underlay in the back and replacing it with a thick rubber mat. I got one last year off a guy in kent I think I found it on ebay. It cost about £70 but is well worth it and it is labrador proof to boot. I will try to find the details for you.

Jules