Best tyres for trialling?

Bigant

Hi

While I am on here can anyone offer advice on the best tyres to opt for when competing in L/rover trials events?

I currently run diamond pattern 205/80/16's which I thought would work ok but I noticed that most other competitors run on much bigger SATs or Diamonds up to 7.50x16.

My tyres were part worn when I bought them.

I have looked at the Insa turbo special track, would these be allowed in a club run trial or do they break the rules and regs?

Thanks for your time

Bigant

It pretty much depends on the way the trials are set...

Some trials are a test of steering lock and vehicle size. Gates are set to be the obstacles rather than the terrain and if your vehicle can't turn on a sixpence you're pretty much stuffed. For this type of trial you need a small tyre that gives you the best possible turning circle.

Some trials use wide gates with a choice of lines and it's down to the driver to choose the best route through the terrain. Turning circle is rarely an issue so for this type of trial larger tyres will give better ground clearance.

You need to find the best compromise for yourself between turning circle and ground clearance. The Land Rover club I belonged to before my current club used to run "stick fights" that had less to do with the terrain and more to do with turning circle so I competed in an 88 inch coiler running 205R16 diamonds, it was extremely rare that the lack of ground clearance caused me an issue on their trials. In my current club they are normally set with wide gates and you have to drive the terrain more than fight the gates so I use 235/85s as they give decent ground clearance without restricting the turning circle too much.

Whatever tyre you choose it's always worth spending the time to make sure you're getting the best steering lock from them. Lift the front end and sit it on axle stands and check that you're getting full lock on both sides, especially on Series vehicles where it's far from unusual to have good lock in one direction but not the other. Increasing the toe-in SLIGHTLY on coil sprung motors can improve your turning circle too.

For what it's worth.....

I used to trial a Series on 750s (a RR on 750 SAT used to be pretty popular to...back in the day :) ) and we have a Series completeing on 600/205s at the moment.

Hotrod on this forum competes with us so he can advise what tyres he runs on his 90.

As Dave has mentioned it is often a compromise between steering lock and ground clearance. Personally I would recommend a fairly skinny tyre.....something like a 750 as a good half way house.

BTW look into different rims. Standard rims on the back but ones with more offset on the front will also help. Remember the rear wheel on the inside of a turn takes the shortest route and it is often this wheel that runs over the cane :)

HTH

Years ago we had a guy competing in a hybrid 88" coiler on 205 mt's, his turning circle was awsome & nobody could touch him on points! Even though the sections were set out with wide gates & using the terrain to stop the vehicles, he could pick his line much easier therefore giving him the advantage. Most others were on 750's.

The tyres of choice seems to be the insa turbo's now, they do grip very well but also break diffs! ( but so can any tyre!)

As for wheels..... an 8 spoke is as good as anything for decent offset.

i do RTV's with cornwall and devon land rover club

i'm running on 235/85/16s insa turbo S/T as are most of the trucks starting to go to.

i'm running mine on 6 1/2j x16" 8 spokes witch i thing give me better lock than 7j x16"s.

to be 100% check with your clubs rules but thay should be fine and for the price there one of the best

The tyres of choice seems to be the insa turbo's now, they do grip very well but also break diffs! ( but so can any tyre!)

jesus christ, they do grip well, but since i got them on my disco (standard size) ive done 3 diffs in a year

how good :)

mikey

When I was trialing I used 235/85 anaconds bloody awsome. Never blew a diff far to much traction so instead I was twisting halfshafts.

Just depends on your club and if they let you use them. Not impressed with the insa turbo's.

I'm using offset 8 spokes 7 inch and I've got more lock than my standard 90.