Inlet Manifold Change

Hey All,

I have a 1989 110 with a Disco 200Tdi fitted by the previous owner who fitted it with a defender inlet manifold as can be seen here by the fact that my turbo is right at the top.

I would like to change this to the proper discovery inlet manifold so that the turbo sits lower down in the proper discovery position as can be seen here.

It is simply a case of sourcing a Disco 200Tdi inlet manifold then moving the turbo and swapping it all over?

Also what changes (if any) are likely to be made to the exhaust down pipe?

Any comments / advice welcome,

Thanks,

Gavin

Hey All,

I have a 1989 110 with a Disco 200Tdi fitted by the previous owner who fitted it with a defender inlet manifold as can be seen here by the fact that my turbo is right at the top.

I would like to change this to the proper discovery inlet manifold so that the turbo sits lower down in the proper discovery position as can be seen here.

It is simply a case of sourcing a Disco 200Tdi inlet manifold then moving the turbo and swapping it all over?

Also what changes (if any) are likely to be made to the exhaust down pipe?

Any comments / advice welcome,

Thanks,

Gavin

If you follow Les's thread on installing a Disco 200Tdi engine in a Defender, (the second one that you've highlighted) you will see the bit where Les makes a downpipe. I've recently done the same thing and followed Les's instructions and it's relatively straightforward.

As well as the exhaust you will also need to modify the intercooler plumbing. It's all pretty straightforward but I'm puzzled as to why you would want to do it? The Defender setup is simpler and everything is more readily accessible.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. You will have to change both inlet and exhaust manifolds, obvious I know but.........

Seems easy enough, I'm wanting to change it as at the moment my intercooler not plumbed in and I'm finding it difficult to do so with all the angles and lengths being different to a standard defender 200Tdi setup, I figured that if I changed to a Disco manifold then I could use the same array of hoses and pipes that several people I know have used when converting their defenders to disco 200Tdi's.

Keep the turbo where it is. It is much easier to route the intercooler plumbng than redo the exhaust!

Get some ali tube from ebay and and some silicon elbows / joiners etc and a bunch of jubilee clips and you're away.

Elbows from Nicenewcar on ebay are excellent value for money.

It is really simple. Even I did it!

Thanks for the replies.

I see your point of view that I'll be making the plumbing more difficult, so I'll not only save my money by not buying a disco inlet manifold but I'll also save my time by not changing it.

Thanks,

Gavin

these might help, genuine Defender spec 200Tdi intercooler pipe/hose routes.

from top intercooler connection to engine air intake manifold

from lower intercooler connection to turbo compressor housing outlet.

air filter to turbo front facing connection

post-20-1245776366_thumb.jpg

post-20-1245776380_thumb.jpg