Poor Starting 2.5 td

hi there,

i have just aquired a 2.5 td 110, and it has a bit of a starting issue.. ~(beleive it or not.. LOL)

i turn the key just before starting it and hold it for about 20-30 seconds while the choke light comes on, to heat the glow plugs i was told, but it still takes ages to fire up. then a load of white smoke comes out the exhaust for a few seconds. then it clears and runs fine.

checked the oil, and water, both are ok, not creamy or smelly, so am assuming its un burnt diesel?

how do i check the glow plugs without taking them out? can i check the resistance or something?

or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,

CURLY

hi there,

i have just aquired a 2.5 td 110, and it has a bit of a starting issue.. ~(beleive it or not.. LOL)

i turn the key just before starting it and hold it for about 20-30 seconds while the choke light comes on, to heat the glow plugs i was told, but it still takes ages to fire up. then a load of white smoke comes out the exhaust for a few seconds. then it clears and runs fine.

checked the oil, and water, both are ok, not creamy or smelly, so am assuming its un burnt diesel?

how do i check the glow plugs without taking them out? can i check the resistance or something?

Cheers,

CURLY

Yep, whip the wires off (don't lose the nuts and washers). Each plug should be a few ohms resistance to the engine block. Your symptoms all sound familiar though! A previous thread suggested worn rockers, which is about the only thing I haven't had a go at yet :unsure: .

Yep, whip the wires off (don't lose the nuts and washers). Each plug should be a few ohms resistance to the engine block. Your symptoms all sound familiar though! A previous thread suggested worn rockers, which is about the only thing I haven't had a go at yet :unsure: .

oh no, you dont have the same problem do you?

its so embarassing starting it if there's any people around!

i think my valve stem seals have had it too, cos there's some blue smoke at startup, but runs clear as a bell after 30 seconds..

might chuck some of that thick gunky stuff from halfords in it to see if that helps it a bit, and have the glowplugs checked too..

might even pop the rocker cover off and have a looky at the rockers while i've got my spanners out..

CURLY

oh no, you dont have the same problem do you?

its so embarassing starting it if there's any people around!

i think my valve stem seals have had it too, cos there's some blue smoke at startup, but runs clear as a bell after 30 seconds..

might chuck some of that thick gunky stuff from halfords in it to see if that helps it a bit, and have the glowplugs checked too..

might even pop the rocker cover off and have a looky at the rockers while i've got my spanners out..

CURLY

i have the same problem and have changed everything including the pistons and still no good . i have just brought a new rocker shaft from paddocks for £12 but havnt got around to changing it yet . if you can wait untill next weekend i will let you know if it worked . but i would say that the problem would either be rocker shaft,sticking valves or tappit guids sticking as those are the only thing i havnt changed. p,s when you start her up make sure she is in gear and as soon as she starts to rev find the biteing point and the smoke seems to stop strait away. its not the best but it saves the embarisment untill i fix it. pps let me know how you get on.

sounds like we should start a smokey starters club mine is the same think its just age no one seems to have a specific fix for this as i think it can be any one of many things never mind it upsets the eco warriors anyway :P

First post here!!!

I have the same issue too, can i join the smokey starters club? :P Mine's racked up 153k tho so think it's almost time for the 200tdi conversion when i have the money and facilities!

(p.s thanks for the great site, very helpful!!!)

mine the same (1988/90)clouds of some , like the start of a jack the ripper movie!!!, Ive love it its part of landrover ownership -like leaks-like breakdowns ect-ect-ect :)

hi there,

Cheers,

CURLYdont bother changing the rocker shaft it did improve a litle and i definatly got more power it is definatly some thing to do whith the valve train

I've not come across a well used TD (i.e. 100ish k) that does not create the infamous smoke screen on starting. Even one I know that is in excellent condition generates a white cloud when firing up.

I've not come across a well used TD (i.e. 100ish k) that does not create the infamous smoke screen on starting. Even one I know that is in excellent condition generates a white cloud when firing up.

he he thats what the guy i bought it off has been saying, but i didn't beleive him!

its starting to chuff out a bit of blue smoke on startup too, but not overly worried as i will be 200 tdi'ing it soon!

i took off the fuse and relay box cover in the cab, (under the dash.) and when i click the key on the spring to glow the plugs, all 5 relays click..??

plus when its on tick over, one of them clicks on and off with revs!!?? sounds like a rattle! he he

but they individually click for different things too, like the indecators i think..

think i might have a serious amount of gremlins in there somewhere!

better get my wiring hat out..

any ideas??

CURLY

Guest otchie1
Just got the volt meter out and tested it at the glow plugs, and its only 9.5 volts??

the battery is at 12.5 volts though..

that cant be normal can it?

CURLY

check your earthing strap but really, give up - THEY ALL SMOKE

check your earthing strap but really, give up - THEY ALL SMOKE

not fussed about the smoke as much as the cranking it over for 30 seconds before it starts!

will check the earth strap though, that might help a bit

30 seconds of cranking???

Lift pump or poor compression.

It should start without glow plugs in this warm weather. For the sake of £15 I would put a lift pump on it.

That much cranking suggests the diesel system is trying to bleed itself before it fires up, or the injector pump is getting a bad back trying to draw fuel from the tank on its own.

My old TD took a lot of cranking before firing up, usually needed 3 goes of the heater plugs. But it was knackered. Proper knackered, very low compression and huge oil consumption. Even then it fired up after about 8 seconds, in winter.

maybe 30 seconds is a bit of an exageration, but it does take a while.

i think if the earth strap doesn't help, i'm going to put a relay in there direct from the battery on a push switch for the glow plugs. does anyone know what size relay i should use?

its gonna have to be a pretty hefty one i'd imagine..

CURLY

maybe 30 seconds is a bit of an exageration, but it does take a while.

i think if the earth strap doesn't help, i'm going to put a relay in there direct from the battery on a push switch for the glow plugs. does anyone know what size relay i should use?

its gonna have to be a pretty hefty one i'd imagine..

CURLY

The glow plugs pull about 80A from very cold, so I'd suggest a 100A relay jobbie - Eblag, Vehicle Wiring Products or Auto Electrical Supplies all carry them.

Guest otchie1
nice one, thanks for that mate.

CURLY

probably best to do the old check on the heater plugs first. Wind them out and pass 12V through them using jump leads straight off the battery. If they don't glow bright they're scrap. Watch your fingers. Hot hot hot :-)

Mine needed 20 seconds of glow plugs in all weather to start and compression was down. It didn't take much cranking but I did have a new starter motor and a good battery (huge difference).

You can check your earth path by using a jump lead to short the engine out straight to your batt -ve - if it turns over faster then you've found your problem.