Changing bulkhead

hi

Do not now where there are any good threads for this, but this is a brief overview of how i did it on my g red td. First lable up all your pipes and wires. Disconnect all pipes (clutch and brake) and wires going to the engine and wings. Take of the front grill and metal work, then take of the wings, i found it made it eaiser if you take the air intake out of the wing so you can get at the bolts that hold the wings on. Take the floors out and the transmission tunnel. You need to lossen all the bolts that hold the roof on to get the winscreen out as it has dowels going into it from the bulkhead. Take the winscreen out. You then need to undo two nuts on each of the sills that atacth to the bulkhead they are ment to be captive but usally spin. Undo the nut and bolt on the steering uj and remove the bolt. There are four bolts that need removing that go through the footwells on to brackets on the chassie. Then remove the two long bolts that go through the out riggers. The bulkhead should then just lift out. When removing all of the wiring i kept the dash pannel, fuse box and steering colum atached so i did not have to unpluge any of the wires that went to these. I had to bend a bracket that went round the steering colum and remove it so i could pull the steering colum through the bulkhead.

Hope this helps and that i have not forgot to much.

andy

Chris, Andy's pointers are good and its a shame we don't have anything in the tech archive so if you feel able to take a few snaps as you go and give a write up it will be of value to many who come after you.

FWIW I did mine over three days. I did NOT need to break any brake lines, merely removed the master cylinder from the servo and tied it out of the way. Similarly the wings and front panel stayed in place, I just removed the eyebrows unplugged the wiring to lights and fed it back to the bulkhead. It is quite impressive when you look at the way wiring and hydraulic lines run around the bulkhead and you see how landrover ensured these were replaceable without major strip.

At the end of the day, nothing difficult though a dressed bulkhead (esp if with scree) is very heavy, just a lot of items to disconnect/reconnect.

Not sure of the exact time it took as i was doing alot of jobs to the landy. Would say it took about 1/2 a day to take it out and about 1 day to swap everything over and put it back in. You may also find when you are doing this job that your outriggers need replacing.

I also left the wings in place, I think it helped line everything back up afterwards.

Also as said, you can just disconnect everything from the engine side and tie it back.

I would suggest you take plenty of measurements before you start as this will help when you're trying to line everything back up on refit and - in particular the width of the door aperture.

There are shims on some of the bulkhead mounts, and you may have to add or remove some of these to get everything lined up nicely - this is where those measurements come in handy.

I've also got new doors to put on as well as the seat box so i can see quite a bit of adjusting getting done <_< . When you guys say you left the wings in situ, do you mean you left them on the vehicle or bulkhead??

The rear xmember is also a little bit crumbly along the inside bottom seam, do you think it would be worth replacing it or repairing it while it's laid up?

You can leave the wings on the vehicle - you just need to undo the bolts under the arches that attach wing to bulkhead, and a bolt at the top in the engine compartment from memory.

I would also recommend buying some of the clip on captive nuts that the door hinges bolt to on the bulkhead - only cost a few pence each and you are sure to lose at least one inside the bulkhead :rolleyes: