battery charging tips

gelf

Ive taken 2 marine batteries of my project (rogue) ive tried to get charge into both the batteries the my dads old charger gut ive had no luck at all.

Do you need a different charger for deep cycle batteries or shall i drop em at the tip tomorrow :rolleyes:

How long did you charge them for? Most smallish battery chargers only put an amp or two into the battery - I have a "6 amp" Maypole automatic charger which is great but once the battery hits 14.5V it is only putting about 2 amps into quite a flat battery - as it comes up this can drop to less than an amp because the charger regulates the charging voltage. I like it that way because there is no risk of boiling the battery but if you have a 110AH TD5 battery it doesn't take a lot of sums to work out that it needs a lot of hours to charge it up at 2 amps. The same sort of output is likely of most small/cheap chargers - to get any life into something in a hurry you need a decent boost/charge unit, the one we use at work does 200A crank and 40A continuous charge on full blast and it wakes up batteries quite quickly :)

What capacity are the marine batteries and how long did you charge them for? If they won't respond, one cell may be dud.

Was the charger showing any current flow into the battery?

When the battery discharges, carp (yes thats the technical term :P) builds up on the plates. When you recharge the battery this carp turns back into "charge". If the battery is VERY deeply discharged though, the carp on the plates builds up to a point where the 14v supplied by the charger isnt high enough to overcome the resistance the deposits cause.

The Optimate tries to get round this by applying more voltage, it first tries 16v then something like 22v in the hope that it will get some current flowing thru the battery and start converting the carp back into charge, then once things start moving, it drops the voltage back to a safe level to charge the battery.

If the batteries are showing no current flow, ie the guage on the charger stays at 0 or "full", but the battery is dead, then something like an optimate may manage to recover it with the above procedure, assuming its onyl deeply discharged and not broken. If the battery has shorted out internally or something similar however, then they're junk.

Speaking of Optimate type chargers, looking at their website it would appear that the only one man enough for the job is the Accumate Pro most of the others stop at 50-70Ah batteries, is this correct or do the smaller ones do just as well but just take longer? I've also been reading through a load of old posts on here. The Accumate Pro looks like a good bit of kit but as the only time I usually need a charger is for other people's batteries I'm loathe to spend 100 quid on something mostly for other people's benefit :huh: