Chassis plate re-stamping

muddydisco

chassis numbers are a size of stamp you cant buy.. (think its 9mm) when a mate got his hybrid s.v.a tested the d.v.l.a fella told him just to stamp his new galvo chassis up himself with the nearest thing he could get!!

we shall now wait for everyone to say it is a ringer/stolen or in need of an s.v.a...

Well I'm restoring a series 2a and I want the chassis plate restamping. Is there any where who does them professionally. I'm in staffordshire :(

Get in touch with the Series 2 Club. They should be able to help.

You can buy blank VIN plates on eBay and I have a sneaking suspicion you can even get genuine or very good reproduction ones from some places. As has been said, the stamps are readily available from Machine Mart etc. for not very much money.

Before the thought police turn up I'll say that none of this is illegal, it's what you do with it that may or may not be legal, but that's your shout.

You can buy blank VIN plates on eBay and I have a sneaking suspicion you can even get genuine or very good reproduction ones from some places. As has been said, the stamps are readily available from Machine Mart etc. for not very much money.

Before the thought police turn up I'll say that none of this is illegal, it's what you do with it that may or may not be legal, but that's your shout.

As above - perfectly legal for you to buy (or even make) your own VIN plate and stamp it yourself. Probably a good idea to keep the receipt and a record of what you've done.

What would be illegal is to stamp the plate with the VIN from another vehicle.

Matt

IVA manual says minimum 4mm on the plate and 7mm on the chassis. There must be no gaps in the VIN number. I used 4mm for both on my Dakar and nobody complained. If you can get someone to do the plate you will avoid the rather crumpled affair that graces the Dakar.

Stamping the new galv chassis is fine.

Replacing the plate may give rise to questions as to why you replaced it so if I were doing it I would take detailed photos of the old (corroded) plate before I replaced it and also retain the old plate should you need to argue your case.

Steve

so you stamped it after galving?

Was that for me?

Just painted the Dakar chassis but the same may apply for a galv in that I had to grind back to bare metal to do the stamping. Even so both the DVLA and SVA inspectors had trouble reading it. I then varnished it.

Steve

After thought....It might be quite convenient if having to do this meant that the chassis number later rusted away!!!!!!

ofcourse with an original number there is a leyland logo before and after the VIN (in later years an asterisk or something)

I don't think you can buy Leyland logo stamps?

Not a problem for Series motors up to the last of the 2As I'd think? Because Leyland didn't exist till the end of the 1960s right?