How legal are CB Radios?

Hey All,

Not sure if this has been covered before, didn't find much when I searched for it.

As you all know it is illegal to use a hand held one while driving, but what about dash fitted (or in some other way fitted) CB Radios, these are not really a hand held device, except the mic.

Up untill now I was under the impression that they were legal, but having read the front page of this I'm not sure

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032695.htm

Any one got a better understanding of the way in which that is worded?

Thanks,

Gav

Hi Gav

My understanding, based on Amateur Radio rather than CB - but they are basically the same thing, is that in theory you can use a fist mike whilst driving but that if anything happened whilst you were on the air then you would almost certainly be done for driving with lack of care or whatever it is called.

This is a getout to allow police, ambulance etc to use two way radio rather than mobile phone and in vehicle two way radio slips in on the back of it.

The long and the short of it seems to be best not to use whilst driving on legal roads unless you can do it genuinely hands free - headset with some PTT work around, or perhaps a bluetooth set.

Hope this helps and I am sure someone else will come along to explain anything I have missed.

Malcy

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a road if he is using -

(a) a hand-held mobile telephone; or

(B) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(2) No person shall cause or permit any other person to drive a motor vehicle on a road while that other person is using -

(B) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(3) No person shall supervise a holder of a provisional licence if the person supervising is using -

(B) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4),

at a time when the provisional licence holder is driving a motor vehicle on a road.

(4) A device referred to in paragraphs (1)(B), (2)(B) and (3)(B) is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.

(d) "two-way radio" means any wireless telegraphy apparatus which is designed or adapted -

(i) for the purpose of transmitting and receiving spoken messages; and

(ii) to operate on any frequency other than 880 MHz to 915 MHz, 925 MHz to 960 MHz, 1710 MHz to 1785 MHz, 1805 MHz to 1880 MHz, 1900 MHz to 1980 MHz or 2110 MHz to 2170 MHz; and

(e) "wireless telegraphy" has the same meaning as in section 19(1) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949[3].

I think the frequencies listed above are specific mobile phone frequencies.

As I read it, it is OK not illegal to use a CB, handheld or not, while driving. Get in a crash and you may get done for dangerous driving.

Chris

Edited: Please excuse the smilies, they should obviously appear as the letter 'b' in brackets. Mods, how about changing the code for that smilie, it happens a lot?

Hi ,

As a licensed Radio Ham, i have been stopped several times while using hand held Microphones by the friendly plod, they have started off telling me its illegal etc, but have had to change their mind after discussions, and me producing my license, as i am allowed to operate mobile.

Have a bump or something and you will be charged with "driving without due care etc". My understanding is that as CB operators do not have a license which states they can operate mobile they are using them illegally while mobile, but a licensed Radfio Ham can use a CB as his license covers the operating frequencies or at least my old class A does, not sure about the myriad of ham licenses that are available today.

So there we are clear as sticky brown stuff.

Keith G0TSH

Edited: Please excuse the smilies, they should obviously appear as the letter 'b' in brackets. Mods, how about changing the code for that smilie, it happens a lot?

Just un-tick 'Enable Emoticons' at the bottom when posting/replying, B) is a pretty common shorthand for 'cool'...

the frequencies listed above are mobile phone frequencies.

everything else about using CB/Ham radio while mobile has been said above.

CB no longer requires a licence it was recinded in Dec 2006, so any police officer cannot make you produce a CB licence because they no longer exist, HAm radio licence is not required to be carried in the vehicle while mobile either.

a handheld transciever CB or HAM is not a fist mike, so don't use it on the road/driving, either let your passenger use it [but only if CB or Passenger holds a Ham licence] or fit a small fist mike to it.

all the current legislation is in the weblink above.