Sticking Handbrake

Anglo-Frenchman

I'm asking this on behalf of a good mate in the UK.

He has a 1996 Disco XS 300tdi and has been having problems with the handbrake. It seems that it sticks ocasionally and when it does it is a major drama getting it to release. He has replaced the cable, and had the drum off to check the shoes and springs which seem OK. He has poured oil down the cable to reduce and friction there but still to no avail.

the other issue is that his drive is VERY steep and it may be that this is partly to blame.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Ged

Rust makes them stick on. The drum has to be wet (inside) a bit of salt helps it to stick, and if it freezes that helps as well.

Try applying the hand brake very slowly until it just bites (on the move) that gets most of the rust off and might help. Dont snatch it on or kiss something goodbye, mainshaft, half shaft etc.

Only do it for a short (10 secs) time as it makes it get hot.

Anon (in case you break something)

As has been said, any hint of water or mud/carp in the drum will cause it to stick. Taking the drum of and giving it a good clean should help...

Alternatly, replace it with one of these:

fitted.jpg

from X-Eng. I have been very pleased with mine, as I got utterly fed up with taking the thing apart to clean it!

Cheers

Mark

Can't be, it's not Orange!

I think you will find it is a genuine X-Eng X-Brake disc handbrake as fitted to a 200TDI Discovery (mine). The Original, and still the best (to coin a phrase)... :P

Mark

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this thread, even if it is about three months old. :D

My handbrake went funny on me for the first time yesterday and I cannot, so far, repair it. :(

The handbrake is functional and not broken, well it would be if the little black button (the one inside the can you press to engage or release)at the end would pop out. :angry:

It seems to have stuck inside the handle casing.

I'll go try some wd40 but does anyone have any experience of this and the cure please?

X-eng is simonR off here isnt it?

That :ph34r: X-Eng brake :ph34r: LOOKS good, what's it benefits please?

My handbrake went funny on me for the first time yesterday and I cannot, so far, repair it. :(

The handbrake is functional and not broken, well it would be if the little black button (the one inside the can you press to engage or release)at the end would pop out. :angry:

It seems to have stuck inside the handle casing.

I'll go try some wd40 but does anyone have any experience of this and the cure please?

X-eng is simonR off here isnt it?

That :ph34r: X-Eng brake :ph34r: LOOKS good, what's it benefits please?

Yes X-Eng is SimonR

On my old 1996 Disco I had a problem with the button sticking in after I had the whole lot out, turned out that I had bent the operating rod that runs up the middle of the handle to the button and it was sticking inside the handle. Might be worth taking this out for a look. There is probably also a spring on the ratchet mechanism inside, but to be honest it was so long ago I can't remember.

The handbrake is functional and not broken, well it would be if the little black button (the one inside the can you press to engage or release)at the end would pop out.

Had this same problem with Freeagents Disco when I did the clutch. Turned out it was the rod that runs down the inside of the handle. The button is a press fit, so you will have to find some way of gripping it and pulling it out. With the button removed, look to see if the rod is dead centre of the hole. If not - a pair of long-nosed pliers can be used to straighten the end. A small amount of grease in there will help as well.

I was fiddling with the damn thing for about 30-minutes before I noticed the rod off to one side in the hole.

Once straightened, the lever works perfectly.

Les. :)

The way I buggered mine up was that I had the handbrake lever disconnected from the cable and right "up" in the vertical position, to get the centre console out when the grub screw fell out of the linkage in the top of the gearbox. When you put the handbrake lever right up, the ratchet mechanism falls off the top of the ratchety toothy bit (note use of tech term) and if you then put the lever down without making sure the ratchet mechanism is orientated correctly, it hooks on the top of the toothy thing and turns the whole ratchet mechanism inside out and bends the operating rod slightly. Something to watch if you ever need to take the console out, because it is easily done :)

I now realise what happened thanks to your detailed and incredibly tech post.

I too had to erect the handbrale lever to remove the console, and it would appear that the toothy-ratchety bit did the very same thing, The cable wouldn't connect to the arm thingy due to the fact that the bit that it rotates on was suddenly in the way, and I had to re-remove the console and re-set the ratchety thingy in it's backward position. Once done, the cable would connect to the arm whatsit as it was supposed to do. In moving the arm thing forwards in anticipation of being able to connect the cable - it would seem that the rod got bent - thus causing the sticky-handbrake-button problem.

Pity you didn't have the presence of mind to mention this earlier Mr Bogmonster. You owe me 30-minutes labour now! :angry::rtfm:

Les. :(

Pity you didn't have the presence of mind to mention this earlier Mr Bogmonster. You owe me 30-minutes labour now! :angry::rtfm:

A postal order for 1p is attached to a pigeon wending its way north at a leisurely 17mph :P

Along with an invoice for £500 from Armchair Consulting plc :D