Header tank oprions for a 3.9v8 90...

I've finally got round to finishing the plumbing on my 3.9 conversion in my 90, however now I've put the wing back on the header tank that I'd hoped to retain from the donor disco doesn't fit in the space available!

The 90 originally had the small metal header that came with the factory 3.5 (and rangie classic I believe), but this looks to be a much smaller capacity than the disco one. Can I use this on the 3.9, or will it be too small?

The header from the disco is the black plastic type that I remember being used on my 300Tdi 90, however on the diesel it was fitted to the passenger side of the engine bay, in the V8 I need to fit it on the drivers side, and the shape that would normally fit around the inner arch is effectively the wrong way round.

Another possibility I have is salvaging the header off of a K1.8 Freelander that is currently waiting for me to strip all useful bits off and then send to scrap man - anyone know if this has sufficient capacity?

All help greatfully received.

Dave

the metal oval header tank was used on RR's & 200Tdi Defenders, they changed to the black plastic rectangular item when the 300Tdi came out. can't see why it won't fit your 90 on the right wing, it's bolted to the wingtop return lip, & doesn't touch the inner wing, I've got one on my 110.

metal oval header tank on a V8 shown below [taken from my LR RAVE manuals]

post-20-1246737750_thumb.jpg

the metal oval header tank was used on RR's & 200Tdi Defenders, they changed to the black plastic rectangular item when the 300Tdi came out. can't see why it won't fit your 90 on the right wing, it's bolted to the wingtop return lip, & doesn't touch the inner wing, I've got one on my 110.

metal oval header tank on a V8 shown below [taken from my LR RAVE manuals]

Thanks Western, it was the black plastic one (trying to fit to the 'wrong' side) that I was struggling to fit against the inner wing, the metal one fits fine but I was a bit worried that it wouldn't have enough capacity - it looks really small compared to the later plastic ones.

For peace of mind I'll compare the amount each holds today, and probably refit the metal one anyway.

Dave

Thanks Western, it was the black plastic one (trying to fit to the 'wrong' side) that I was struggling to fit against the inner wing, the metal one fits fine but I was a bit worried that it wouldn't have enough capacity - it looks really small compared to the later plastic ones.

For peace of mind I'll compare the amount each holds today, and probably refit the metal one anyway.

Dave

Hi Dave,

In normal, use and providing your engine is good health, the expansion tank volume doesn't need to be huge. It just allows for the expansion and contraction of the coolant within the system as the engine warms up and cools down. I would have thought 1 litre would be more than enough for that.

HTH.

Dave

should be possible to fit the black plastic tank, this is mine fitted instead of the oval metal tank, looks to me it could be fitted where you want, the bottom hose connection will be sitting clear if it moved forward enough to clear the inner arch.

post-20-1246785257_thumb.jpg

should be possible to fit the black plastic tank, this is mine fitted instead of the oval metal tank, looks to me it could be fitted where you want, the bottom hose connection will be sitting clear if it moved forward enough to clear the inner arch.

Thanks for all the replies.

I managed to fit the black plastic header in about the same place as you Western - I was trying to mount it lower than I needed to as I didn't realise how much clearance there was with the bonnet shut (actually put the bonnet back on for the first time in about a 6 months!) A few hoses added and extended, and I now have a fully plumbed in system.

Dave