Front prop shaft

Have come to conclusion front prop shaft needs replaced - UJs are going (work fine when pumped full of grease but start getting noisy later) and also the sliding bit near gearbox is burst. The Beastie is a 1991 200Tdi 90

Looking at Paddocks the closest I can find is FRC8390 (will double check VIN when at home) but not sure if worth paying more and getting the Hardy Spicer UJs - it is another £27.50. Any views?

Also is the kit likely to come with new bolts etc? If not I guess better to get a new set of them too.

Also are there any other bits I am likely to need, such as gaskets etc.

Thanks for any input

Malcy

You should get a complete prop - U/J's both ends already fitted, so just bolt it straight on (grease both UJ's and sliding joint once fitted though). Some U/J's are greaseable, and some are not.

Bolts don't usually come with a new prop, so you'll have to buy those sepereately.

Les.

As Uncle Les says get both ends changed! A stitch in time........

No gaskets needed. But get the bolts-n-nuts in stock. One of them might get destroyed along the way. I bought over 20x for future use too!! They are real expensive :lol:

post-7610-1247051918_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1247051933_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1247051991_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1247052019_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys.

I was reckoning on getting with UJs on both ends and as far as I can see FRC8390 does have this. The pictures are not always that clear!

The standard one from Paddocks is £55 ex VAT and the one with Hardy Spicer UJs (FRC8390G) is £82.50 ex VAT.

I seem to recall someone saying Hardy Spicer UJs were worth the extra. Do you agree?

Point taken also about getting new nuts and bolts.

Best wishes

Malcy

Yes, Hardy Spicer are excellent and regreaseable. I did hear somewhere that the heavy duty ones are not regreaseable though. Not seen them myself.

Les.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listi...FT-UJ-ASSY.html

I bought two of these to re-build my rear prop, and can confirm they are not re-greasable. They have GKN stamped into them, and seem of battleship construction otherwise.

when replacing it, check the bolts tightness after a while, probs 100 miles? cos idefinately tightened mine enough cos i remember doing up soo tight then not being able to take the spanner off cos it was jammed lol. when i came to take my axle off a couple of weeks ago, they were looseish :S

mikey