Tracking a 90

Renewing the TRE's on a 90; got the RAVE and manuals for 'standard' figures, but this dang thing ent standard; its running 1/12" offset steelies, on 1 1/4" spacers; & 235/85 tyres; any-one know what tracking values would work well with such a set up; my GUESS is it would benefit from a tad of extra toe-in, but how much on the Track Rod?

Cheers both;

Checking the specs, they give 0 deg 2min toe out, which surprised me; and anoyingly not the track rod length between TRE centres, so going to be setting it up the old fasioned way with a bucket of water, and a bit of string, rolling up & down the drive!

Its actually K44 LDY, the old lady-challenger, much abused and lacking in mechanical attension, so almost impossible to tell anything from the much cut up old BFG's she's wearing!

Reason for querying toe in, was with such a large off-set from the steering centre, tendancy to 'flop' from centre due to the added leverage of the contact patch from the steering axis.

Thought was a little added toe-in would compensate a little, but as the thing is set toe-out, it's set on the nervouse side anyway......

Its going to be a bit of a revelation to her owner too, having wheels that wag when the steering wheels twisted, having taken out about half an inch of back-lash in the steering box, plus new drop arm ball, plus tre's..... I expect she'll moan its a tad 'heavy'....

Anyhow, will set 'stock' and work from there, if no-one has tried and trusted 'correction' values.

It is toe out because the wheel are driven. The driving force makes them straight under power.

Of course!..... Homor moment! Been too long since I did one with string!

You simply measure the tyres on the front and back to set the toe. It is very simple.

Yeah?

Go on, elaborate....

Used to brush one tyre with water and roll back along the drive to leave a straight tyre track, then use a piece of string pulled tight between two helpers, bringing the string in until it touched the back side wall of the opposite wheel, then getting second helper to walk in until the string just touched the front side wall of the tyre, roughly accross the centre, then running around with a tape measure working out the triangle, then spending a few hours with a pocket calculator, arguing over high school triganomatory formulas none of us could remember to get the angle...... then arguing over whether that was half the toe in angle or all the toe in angle or double the toe in angle etc........... and then trying to remember whether any-one we knew had a tracking guage!

piece of string - run it around the whole truck at hub level.

the string should touch the front and rear of each sidewall on all 4 tyres.

adjust tre's accordingly if one or more sidewall doesnt touch the string. This makes all 4 wheels parallel (ish) and seems to work fine on my 90. Even tyre wear and self centres ok, doesnt wander and steering feels adequately weighted - not to heavy or light.

takes 5 minutes to do and can be done on your own.

if you have a 2" lift, then this will drag the front axle over to one side by 3mm. Sort this by putting a piece of card on the sidewalls of the front left and back right tyres to 'centralise' the tyres all round so you can get them parallel properly.

Of course!..... Homor moment! Been too long since I did one with string!

Yeah?

Go on, elaborate....

If you have luggy tires, simply measure the outside of the lugs from and back. If not, stick a pin in the treads at the back. Measure the distance between the pins, roll the truck forward so the pins are on the front. Measure again. The front should be the same or slightly wider than the rear measurement.