Steering Column Bearings

Does anyone know where to get both the top and bottom steering column bearings? I finally got around to pulling mine apart to blast before sending for galv and both the ball bearings and the needle bearings are shot.. (who puts a thin needle bearing race into a rubber collar? it just broke right across the race....) so I will need to source both.

A search did not turn up anything on the subject at all so likely you all need to do it too :) bearings should not crunch when turned, even on a Land Rover :)

A search for steering and bearing turned up a lot of hits, which after reading them all (I did this before asking) turned up nothing. If there is something else I should search on I would be happy but I figured that would cast a fairly wide net.

A search for steering and bearing turned up a lot of hits, which after reading them all (I did this before asking) turned up nothing. If there is something else I should search on I would be happy but I figured that would cast a fairly wide net.

I don't think the bearings are availabe seperately through normal channels, but you could try some of your local bearing suppliers?

If you can find a source, let us know!

That would be my first stop tomorrow. I will post part numbers if I find them, this should probably make it into a tech posting... we really should start a Wiki a la Wikipedia for all these bits of information so we could polish them over the years.

That would be my first stop tomorrow. I will post part numbers if I find them, this should probably make it into a tech posting... we really should start a Wiki a la Wikipedia for all these bits of information so we could polish them over the years.

we already have a Technical Archive, so all the good stuff you members want to keep for others to use can be safely stored for future reference, if you write a tech thread & you think it'll be helpful to others, just PM one of us Mods/Admin & request it gets added to the tech archive.

& if you didn't know how to access the archive there's a section on the main forum index page & a index for all the artciles pinned at the top of the Tech Archive 1st page :D

i recall this coming up in the past and i think th outcome was that they were a protected part, meaning the bearing manufacturers would only sell them to the factory and not resellers.

best bet is to try a local bearing suppliers and see what they can come up with.

I am told following Timken will work, 5BC & NP224896, 11590 & 11520. All but the NP224896 are available to me locally here but that one is only available to suppliers in the UK or France. If someone would consider picking one up and sending it to my freight forwarder in Bristol this week that would be amazing :)

I should have the ones I can get locally tomorrow and will confirm if they are identical / fit as soon as I have them.

• 3 weeks later...

So no luck at all finding new bearings for my steering column. It was a bit crunchy so I took it apart and found the roller bearing had a broken outer race and as flimsy as it seems I am a bit reluctant to ship a replacement 3000mi rather than stock a set. Any help would be appreciated, it is a 1992 so the high spline count shaft.