wheel size prob

Robot_Roo

Hello guys, hope everyone enjoyed the landrover show at billing. Got myself some tyres that are 165/70 r16 I dont know if 30mm wheel spacers will solve the problem of them rubbing when turning tight. Does anyone know? I know there is a wheel/tyre chart somewhere on this site but i cant find it!! (not even sure it has my size on there last time I did manage to find it!! ) Also would anyone know where to find the correct air pressure for these to??

Big big thanks

Roo

No nothing rubs or catches unless i turn a tight corner. The link does not have my sizes, i think these tyres are for a toyota or something like that. !!!!

165/70 on a Disco?

They sound Waaaayyyy too small to me. Smallest size fitted is normally 205/80x16 - hence the reason Bogmonster suggested that your diffs would be rubbing the road - the clearance allowed by those tyres would be barely enough for the axle to clear the tarmac....

Are you sure that's the size of the tyres you have?

Matt

Woops just noticed I wrote 165!! i mean 265!! Doh!!!!!! they are 265/70 r16!!!!!

Sorry guys I was having one of those crazy moments!! Ha no wonder you thought they were small!

That makes more sense now!

If they're rubbing the radius arms on full lock, wind the lock stops out a little to limit the lock. You may also find that they catch the wheel arches on full articulation - either trim the arches a fraction or consider a suspension lift to solve that one...

Matt

If they're on standard L/R rims winding the stops out all the way will still not solve the problem of radius arm rubbing, you will need to buy some longer bolts (approx 15mm longer) and bodge them (with a hammer) until they solve your problem.

Reasons for hammer bodging will become apparent when u fit longer bolts ;)

If they're on standard L/R rims winding the stops out all the way will still not solve the problem of radius arm rubbing, you will need to buy some longer bolts (approx 15mm longer) and bodge them (with a hammer) until they solve your problem.

Reasons for hammer bodging will become apparent when u fit longer bolts ;)

Why bodge it when you can do it properly and fit some aftermarket wheels with a greater offset? No need to limit the steering lock then...

(But I suppose if you want the turning circle of a supertanker it's ok... :rolleyes: ) :lol:

Matt

Why bodge it when you can do it properly and fit some aftermarket wheels with a greater offset? No need to limit the steering lock then...

(But I suppose if you want the turning circle of a supertanker it's ok... :rolleyes: ) :lol:

Matt

I was offering my advice on the steering stops as someone had incorrectly stated that by winding the standard ones out would solve the problem, which it won't.

Yes you are correct in mentioning that by fitting e.g modular wheels with a greater offset it would solve problems, but this could also cause more problems if the vehicle in question is not lifted (catching on bodywork etc), also wouldn't the tyres then be protruding past the arches (mot fail) so a need to fit an arch kit. The same would be true if fitting 30mm wheel spacers.

I was offering my advice on the steering stops as someone had incorrectly stated that by winding the standard ones out would solve the problem, which it won't.

Yes you are correct in mentioning that by fitting e.g modular wheels with a greater offset it would solve problems, but this could also cause more problems if the vehicle in question is not lifted (catching on bodywork etc), also wouldn't the tyres then be protruding past the arches (mot fail) so a need to fit an arch kit. The same would be true if fitting 30mm wheel spacers.

I have 265/70s on modular rims fitted to mine with a 2 inch lift and a bit of arch trimming.They don't rub anywhere or protrude beyond the

bodywork(no arch extensions) It was MOTd last week.

Obviously touched a nerve there - and didn't mean to, sorry - I just don't like the idea of cobbling together a solution which clearly isn't "quite right" if you know what I mean ;)

You're right about tyres catching the bodywork without a lift etc - but without knowing more about what wheels are fitted presently, whether the vehicle is lifted already etc it's difficult to provide better advice. The OP stated that the tyres were only catching when steering one way - indicating that the lock stops were set correctly on one side at least.

Cheers,

Matt

in what possible way would lifting the vehicle prevent the tyres on 8 spokes/modulars hitting the bodywork?

Unless of course you purchase some cheapo nasty piece of carp 'lift kit' from paddocks thats so stiff it prevents ANY upward movement from ride height :P

a lift kit may well increase your ride height - but if you chose correctly then you will still be able to compress each wheel so the axle ends up touching the existing bumpstops and getting full compression! That means you'll still be catching the bodywork. Advising people a lift kit will solve bodywork issues is wrong - because it wont!

Not having a go, but please be careful, as Roo might think your advise was totally correct and then go out and spend a fortune on a set of lovells/ome/dobinson suspension and rip all his wings off and wreck his tyres the first time he goes offroad!!!!!!!!!!

:(

If bodywork clearance is an issue, there are 3 ways of doing it and none involve a lift kit...

bodylift - raise the body by a couple of inches giving better wheelarch clearance

2" extended bump stops - stops the axle going up enough for wheels to touch the arches. You can also fit -2" shock droppers so that you dont lose articulation. May need spring relocators if you do though

cut the wheelarches out so they dont rub. Also known as a 'virtual lift'.

Nick

Simply put, I have 265/75/16 bronco dirt devils fitted to my disco on standard disco steel rims, due to the nature of the tyres (big sidewall blocks for climbing out of ruts) I have had to cut the arches front and rear & fit longer steering stops. I already have it on a +2'' lift, and at full axle articulation on both axles they don't rub anywhere now.

Just offering my advice as it was a cheap and cheerful way of doing it for me with the minimum of hassle.

Also swapping tyres around on to different rims has become difficult around here, unless u can do it yourself, as the local tyre places refuse to do it.

You maybe right about some tyres being ok with offset wheels and spacers, but mine wouldn't be so was just speaking from experience.

Hope you get it sorted anyway!

Just back from work, Wow lot of advice here!!! I might just change the wheels over to standard at mot time!!!! As they only Rub when turning on full lock!!! I really like the look of the tyres so really want to keep them. So, after reading all the advice would 30mm spacers solve the prob or would that then make them rub on the arches? (they dont at the mo?) These tyres are getting more and more complicated all the time!!! (which is pretty much like my disco which I have only had for three months, it cost me £600, but im now up to £2000 (still love it though!!!) :rolleyes: