A couple of brake pipe questions

Last night I had to cut off a union when it wouldn't undo without twisting the pipe. Since the pipe was in generally good condition and was an awkward one to replace I decided to fit a new union. For this I needed approximately 2" of straight pipe at the end and I only had 11/2" before a fairly sever (but well-formed) bend and so I had to straighten it - this I did by careful manipulation using a section of another pipe which nicely slipped over the brake pipe.

And so to the questions:

1. What techniques do people use to free up unions that have seized to the pipe - I usually find that tightening them a fraction before attempting to undo them works, but in this case it didn't.

2. Does anyone know of a simple technique or tool for straightening brake pipes?

3. Does anyone know where can I get red 'brake grease' since I think that a smear of this on the unions before assembly might help with subsequent disassembly..

Cheers,

Roger

If you straighten a pipe that you intend to re-bend and re-fit, then you are significantly weakening it - especially steel, which may fracture anyway. If I can't undo a union, I cut the pipe and then use a socket, which usually always works.

Les.

If you straighten a pipe that you intend to re-bend and re-fit, then you are significantly weakening it - especially steel, which may fracture anyway. If I can't undo a union, I cut the pipe and then use a socket, which usually always works.

Les.

Yes - in this case I cut the pipe at the union before it twisted beyond it's elastic limit (not far! ), then straightened it and then managed to replace the original bend with two new ones either side of where the original was so I didn't introduce any additional stress - it was copper or Kunifer too..

rubber grease is available from Frosts Auto restorers website, or on ebay. Though I think the copper grease may be better, and regular attention after powerwashing with waxoil black would be best.

G.