Rrc suspension

rrinspain

what are you doing and is it on air or coil?

Well, must admit I'm not that sure what I want to do with my rrc. Others have lifted but I wondered if I could lower the entire chassis. It currently sits on coils - never had air suspension. A fella I met told me that he has built various cars with gas suspension, removing coils and springs and gone to a variable gas set-up. I wondered about trying this on a rrc! Thanks for the interest

You could find all the bits for the standard EAS (electronic air suspension) and fit that (fair bit of work). The easy way would be simply to change the springs - I can't remember exactly how much the EAS lowers the car by in cruise profile - think it's about 1 to 1.5 inches. Stay within that and you shouldn't need any other mods. Check the front dampers are still okay as the EAS cars had a different mounting (as they couldn't run through the spring), but I'd be surprised if there's an issue.

You could find all the bits for the standard EAS (electronic air suspension) and fit that (fair bit of work). The easy way would be simply to change the springs - I can't remember exactly how much the EAS lowers the car by in cruise profile - think it's about 1 to 1.5 inches. Stay within that and you shouldn't need any other mods. Check the front dampers are still okay as the EAS cars had a different mounting (as they couldn't run through the spring), but I'd be surprised if there's an issue.

Thanks to both replies but I have this crazy idea that I want to reduce the whole profile by lowering the chassis and also cutting down the roofline. I.5" won't do it on the chassis, need more like 4". A variable gas system might allow me over speed bumps. Roof needs to come down at least another 4". I know that structural integrity needs to be maintained but can it be done?

I saw a nice RR Classic round here recently that looked like it had a 3-4" suspension drop - wheels were up in the arches and it looked very low to the ground.

Didn't look that nice to me but it was a well done job and seemed to corner nice and flat. I was passing in the other direction at the time so didn't get to have a proper look.

I have a set of springs in my shed which I bought in error after being told they were military HD defender springs. turns out they are the same diameter but a good 2-3" lower and very hard. If only I know what they were off they would be ideal ones to look for!

Thanks to both replies but I have this crazy idea that I want to reduce the whole profile by lowering the chassis and also cutting down the roofline. I.5" won't do it on the chassis, need more like 4". A variable gas system might allow me over speed bumps. Roof needs to come down at least another 4". I know that structural integrity needs to be maintained but can it be done?

I would have thought if you're planning to go down 4" or more then you'll have a problem with up travel and would have to get into notching (or 'C'ing) the chassis for clearance, not to mention sump clearance, prop shaft angles, steering geometry etc.

I think your best bet if you're going to chop the roof too is to look at 'channelling' the body down over the chassis by 1" or 2" combined with lowering the suspension slightly. I'd do this by cutting the springs - just cut one whole coil off, heat the cut end and bend it down to the orginal profile. By removing a coil you'll lower the car and raise the effective spring rate.

The effect of the 'channel' plus the roof chop will mean you have to lower the seats on their mounts too, and possibly even loose the back seats. Not to mention the numerous other things that would have to be moved, re-mounted, cut and so-on.

The result would certainly look different, but without a major weight loss program you wouldn't end up with a sportscar, it would be interesting though!

Thanks to both replies but I have this crazy idea that I want to reduce the whole profile by lowering the chassis and also cutting down the roofline. I.5" won't do it on the chassis, need more like 4".

What is this idea which requires lowering the vehicles height by 4"?

Thanks for the interest all, I can see where I need to give this a lot of thought. Must admit that I don't like the idea of "notching" the chassis. The idea of dropping and chopping was just for the fun of it and to see if it could be done (and maybe just a little bling). As an aside, I also had the idea of removing the bodywork behind the front door frames and turning the rear into a flat bed with a nice shiny stainless steel finish!!!!. This would certainly reduce the weight - but don't let's go there eh?

Thanks again and if there are any more ideas, I'd love to hear them

Thanks for the interest all, I can see where I need to give this a lot of thought. Must admit that I don't like the idea of "notching" the chassis. The idea of dropping and chopping was just for the fun of it and to see if it could be done (and maybe just a little bling). As an aside, I also had the idea of removing the bodywork behind the front door frames and turning the rear into a flat bed with a nice shiny stainless steel finish!!!!. This would certainly reduce the weight - but don't let's go there eh?

Thanks again and if there are any more ideas, I'd love to hear them

just get some lowering springs, not cheap but easily done! a friend of mine made a flat bed range rover! again easily done! but really if your using the flat bed you want uprated springs to carry the weight (on the flat bed)

try >these< people, they can make any coil spring, at any length, for any vehicle. may be able to give you the desired drop that you are after.

personally, i would go with the combination of a 2" drop, and some larger wheels, to give the appearance of being low, coupled with some extended side sills, maybe make some up using the original plastic trims as a base, just extend them lower with some glass fibre - or for real bling, carbon fibre.