Alloy wheel refurbishment

mickeyw

Hi All,

The vogue alloys on my 1990 classic are starting to look a little scabby and are letting down appearances on what is a pretty tidy vehicle.

I just popped into my local alloy wheel refurb place to find out what it would cost to have them blasted and sprayed up. To get four done was going to be £375 plus the VAT on top :o

Apparently due to the dual tone rims (silver outer with colour coded centres) they have to paint silver, then clear powder laquer, key the laquer before painting the second colour and another coat of clear powder coat. So they're doing it all twice really, which they say is why it costs so much.

To my mind I have much better things to spend that much money on, never mind that the truck ain't worth a great deal of £££s anyway!

What has anyone else paid for a similar service?

And what other DIY methods have you used to remove the corrosion and that have given a reasonable finish?

Thanks in advance.

Works out at about £110 per wheel & if that's a complete tyre off, strip, refinish, refit tyre etc its not unreasonable for what is a lot of work.

To give you an idea, local mobile repairers near me charge from £45 plus VAT (minimum charge) per wheel for minor kerb scrapes. That's minimum charge & a scuff round the whole rim edge is nearer the £100 mark

Try a quote from http://www.lap-tab.co.uk in Brum. A couple of customers have used them & say they are very good.

Alternatively, just find a reasonably tidy set of second hand ones.

This is my thinking at the moment.

I know where's there's a tidy set in the wrong colour. Hopefully a quick squirt from a can of the right colour will fix that problem.

This is my thinking at the moment.

I know where's there's a tidy set in the wrong colour. Hopefully a quick squirt from a can of the right colour will fix that problem.

You'll find it difficult to get a good finish with cans of paint (and you'll need more than 'a quick squirt' - think a few thin coats and then more of lacquer). I've done this and got an okay (but not great) finish. Took me a lot longer than I expected and I finished up wishing I'd just bought some better wheels in the first place.

If I was you I'd hold out for some that are already in the colour you want, or go for something neutral like gray.

• 1 month later...

Well after a weekend of getting high on paint fumes (well not really, I was good and wore a mask) I have a lovely set of vogue alloys in Ardennes Green.

I got hold of the afore-mentioned set in the wrong colour but in really good nick, (they had already been re-finished) gave them a good rub with an ultra fine Scotchbrite pad to key the surface and applied several layers of paint, followed by some lacquer.

My local paint supplier mixed up the metallic green base and stuck it in a spray can for me, very easy to spray, and a superb finish. Also got a can of lacquer from them and then some 5-wheels silver from Halfrauds.

The old tatty wheels

post-7124-125232746859_thumb.jpg

The blue wheels

post-7124-125232746606_thumb.jpg

The silver edge

post-7124-125232746404_thumb.jpg

Middle bit in green

post-7124-12523274603_thumb.jpg

Then the silver redone, turns out it's easier to do this bit after the centre. And then a coat of lacquer.

post-7124-125232746211_thumb.jpg

Total cost - £50 for the wheels and £20 on paint,

All in all a very satisfactory result :i-m_so_happy: Only time will tell how durable this finish will be.