New noise

minivin

It's a good'un, started yesterday, driving along a noise a bit akin to ball bearings being rolled around in a metal dish, linked to the speed of the engine.

Not linked to the transmission as I put hi/lo into neutral and the noise was still there and when driving along, putting the gearbox into neutral and revving it it's still there.

effing me off now, waiting for something else to snap <_<

It's a good'un, started yesterday, driving along a noise a bit akin to ball bearings being rolled around in a metal dish, linked to the speed of the engine.

link to engine speed - clutch? something rattling in the bell housing. can you use a tube to locate the noise when stationary and engine is idling?

will have to crawl under the truck later and have a listen, will try in a bit if I pull the clutch in and rev it whether it dissappears, might point away from something loose clutchwise?

When I stripped my SIII down, we found one of the clutch plate springs whizzing round with the flywheel... :ph34r:

That made some fun noises...!!!

Cheers

Pete

Do you get the noise at stand still or only when moving.

It's just that I had a tinkling noise that I thought was coming from the clutch area or handbrake when moving.

It turned out to be the rear prop rear universal joint.

The rollers were going over each other with the sound being amplified by the hollow propshaft giving the impression it was the clutch/bellhousing area.

I was imagining all sorts from a dry thrust bearing, broken clutch springs, disloged clutch fork lever, loose handbrake springs, starter motor to flywheel contact etc. etc.

The complete clutch had only done 1500 miles so I thought the worst!

Initially there was no vibration through the transmission so the u/j was overlooked.

However once the u/j was replaced due to vibration, the tinkling (a bit like milk bottles rattling if you can remember the sound ) noise has also completely gone.

Land Rovers are great for raising stress levels and getting your imagination going.

John

noise was at standstill and go, but.....

Found it!!!!!! :D SInce it's a Sherpa 2.5NAD, the air filter was slightly loose and rotating back and forth due to the vibration levels on top of th einlet manifold (extremities)

Land Rovers are great for raising stress levels and getting your imagination going.

I had what I thought was a dying front diff.

Horrible clanking noise when coming to a stop or moving off. Turned out to be the brake pads moving slightly in the calipers.

How they've bedded in a bit, they rattle all over the show, a sound to which I'm now oblivious. :D

I had rattle that I couldn't find for ages. Then the car wouldn't start. Turned out that it was the starter motor that had fell out/off.

always amazes me the lengths this truck will go to to test my powers of deduction.