help...... wont start

gelf

trying to get my RRC {rogue} to start, it had stood a while before a bought it.

it has fresh petrol, the pumps are working and its getting to where it should be..... i have spark on every plug, but i wont fire at all.

Its 3.9 EFI ........ try and make it simple.

You said that 'wires were everywhere' in another post, check that the black with white wire from the AFM connector plug is connected to the coil negative -the ECU needs this as it won't fire fuel in unless it gets a spark signal.

Then, check the tech archive for the Hotwire troubleshooting manual ;)

right bear with me as i dont fully understand ECU's etc.

if one element of a system does not work correctly, will the ecu know this and stop it from running?

the reason i ask is because yesterday the EFI fuel pump would not operate when the ignition was on.......... so i cut the wires and wired it directly the battery via a cut off switch, so im wondering wether this would upset it or not.

any idea what colour the fuel pump relay is?

right bear with me as i dont fully understand ECU's etc.

if one element of a system does not work correctly, will the ecu know this and stop it from running?

the reason i ask is because yesterday the EFI fuel pump would not operate when the ignition was on.......... so i cut the wires and wired it directly the battery via a cut off switch, so im wondering wether this would upset it or not.

any idea what colour the fuel pump relay is?

Fuel pump relay is gold-ish as standard, and has a white/purple feed wire to the pump.

TBH, it sounds like you may not be getting power to the ECU, if the FP relay wasn't working, that or the FP relay had died.

Check the wiring diagram in the tech archive and work through it :)

The ECU doesn't know if the fuel pump is there or not, but the ECU does control the fuel pump so if it doesn't run it just means the ECU has decided not to turn it on.

I would advise against cutting & bodging any more wires and instead working through the fault finding guide in the technical archive, it will tell you what everything does and which pins on the ECU plug to test. You can unscrew the cover on the ECU plug to test pins without disconnecting the ECU.

most of the time the ECU relies on receiving voltage inputs but one check to see if its a least got power would be to check whether any of the injector plugs are getting a voltage - its less than 12v i believe. that way you know the ECU is getting power.

hello again.......... do i test the plug end? to do the fault finding guide or does it all need to be plugged in?

also are they nembered left to right 1-13 ... then back to the left 14-28 etc etc see piccy please and advise.

so if i have the numbering system right the 1st test is pin 15 ignition off..... and i should have some power, but i havent so where do i look to sort that.

with the ignition turned ON pin 2 as i think it is has power....... so some must be getting through. :blink:

please be patient, im rubbish at sorting electrics and learning as i go.

post-77-1248616884_thumb.jpg

Your pin numbering is correct - but not for a 3.9 engine. You have used the numbering for earleir models.

As you are looking at the shroud in the photo:

Pin 1 is bottom left - Pin 13 bottom right

Pin 14 middle right - Pin 27 middle left

Pin 28 top left - Pin 40 top right

Pin 15 will be Brown

Avoid probing from the connecting face - as in the picture as the contacts can be damaged creaing new problems with intermittant contacts. Far better to pull out that rubber gasket surround and remove the screw on each side then push the shroud back and prod it from behind :lol:

gonna have a fiddle again 2moro........... if im right and pin 15 has not got power, it should as its a perm live, where does it pick its power from, so i can check.

It should be a permanent supply. comes in via what Haynes calls the main cable connector (7 pin) and also supplies pin 86 on the main EFI relay.

Steve

any ideas where the maincable connector is?? or a piccy of what it looks like may be better.

also a diagram of what colour wires go to which pin in the ecu plug...... i have this pic but in reality mines different :huh:

i have to get a haynes manual