TD5 Sump Nut

On my last service I stupidly managed to partially strip the threads on the sump nut housing!

I have had to leave the brass o-ring off so I can get purchase at the the top of the nut to keep it in...

Problem is I dont trust it taking it anywhere rough in case it pops out and leaves me devoid of engine oil.

Can these be re-tapped and if so who by?

Thanks

Jamie

You have a number of options.

Drill it out and helicoil the thread

Drill it out and tap it to a bigger bung

Weld up the hole, weld a nut onto the pan next to it, drill a hole behind the nut, and use that as the bung

Could be a bit tricky with some of the options above, the td5 sump is cast alloy so it's a bit soft.

The second option to drill it out and use a bigger plug gets my vote, just so long as you can find a suitable sized plug and a tap with the correct thread.

Otherwise it may be a safer bet to just replace it?

I've seen a few on eBlag lately, (i've been looking out for one for my spare engine, the old one's got a hole in it!)

Drill it out and tap it 2 or 3 mm bigger or to suit what ever size bolt (bung) you get. I had to do this on my car a few years ago and it works fine. If your not confident enough to do it yourself any descent garage will do it for some beer vouchers

or buy one of them sump plugs from difflock and threadlock the thing in with the right gloop as per the fitting instructions.

then you never need to undo the nut ever again - just screw on the drain pipe into the brass fitting to drain the oil. Much neater and cleaner way of doing an oil change anyway.