Short product review: spare wheel carriers with hi-lift mounts

Hope this isn't too O/T or in the wrong place, but thought it may be useful to anyone looking at a swingaway type spare wheel carrier with a hi lift mount.

I've been singing the praises of my Safariquip one for ages, the carrier itself is very good, but the last event I did showed a problem! Mounted as it is, the Hilift is not completely in line with the side of the car, and at its highest point sticks out from where the roof curves. This means that it can get caught on close trees, which is what happened with mine. The tree in question must have been quite substantial, as this is what it did to my jack:

jack1.jpg

Me and my co-driver did hear the bump, but when it came to looking around the vehicle there was no sign of damage and so I only found this when I got home. It's now been straightened by driving over it several times. I can only imagine the force needed to do that, and given the lack of damage elsewhere, shows how strongly built the carrier is!

So, I'm now looking at finding a different place to store mine, probably along the wheel arch in the cargo bay.

Hope this helps anyone looking at buying such a carrier for its hi lift mount.

Hope this isn't too O/T or in the wrong place, but thought it may be useful to anyone looking at a swingaway type spare wheel carrier with a hi lift mount.

I've been singing the praises of my Safariquip one for ages, the carrier itself is very good, but the last event I did showed a problem! Mounted as it is, the Hilift is not completely in line with the side of the car, and at its highest point sticks out from where the roof curves. This means that it can get caught on close trees, which is what happened with mine. The tree in question must have been quite substantial, as this is what it did to my jack:

jack1.jpg

Me and my co-driver did hear the bump, but when it came to looking around the vehicle there was no sign of damage and so I only found this when I got home. It's now been straightened by driving over it several times. I can only imagine the force needed to do that, and given the lack of damage elsewhere, shows how strongly built the carrier is!

So, I'm now looking at finding a different place to store mine, probably along the wheel arch in the cargo bay.

Hope this helps anyone looking at buying such a carrier for its hi lift mount.

Do you use the high lift to maximum height? I reduced my Hi-Lift by a couple of holes to get it into the 90 tub lengthways. Even a 3ft 10ins Hi-Lift lifts plenty high enough for me :lol:

The Mount in the middle of the spare would overcome the problem for the most part, but unavoidably there will be occasions where a branch could come down into the gap between the rear of the vehicle and the jack. It would also mean added expense.

This is why I started the thread, anyone thinking of buying a carrier could see this problem and instead of paying the extra for one with this style of mount, could buy a plain one and a spare wheel jack mount separately.

I wouldn't have said I use the full length of the jack until the last event, where I had to use every inch of height I could to stop it leaning on a tree while I re-rigged the winch. If it wasn't for that experience, I probably would just cut down the jack!

I've had the same experience. My jack did survive since I saw what was coming.

I'm building a mount for the spare wheel, even though it's not perfect solution. But I do consider it to be the best place when you want to get hold of the jack quick and without climbing the roof.

I actually considered making a hole in the bottom plate and mounting the jack upside down, but I'm not sure it will be much better.