which mig welder

joe sharpe

hi all need some advice i am after buying a new mig suitable for welding my good old disco.

at the moment i have a clarke gas/no gas had it for quite a few years now so it owes me nowt now,so i am looking for a good quality one which will last and give good service somewhere in the 600-700 price range .

any advice very welcome.,

cheers joe.

sorry meant to ask which makes are best

cheers joe

Should have the pick of any number of good used industrial sets on eBlag for that - if you ahven't already, budget some change for a good auto mask, big bottle of ArgoShield and a few consumables such as a new torch, a tip or three, etc. to bring it up to as-new condition. You should be able to do very well on that budget.

i got a Sealey supermig, its 195amps so will weld 8-9mil mild steel and realy rate it. You should be looking for one that goes down to about 35amps and goes upto 135amps to be able to do chassis work any less than that and you wiont be getting good penetration. I know the people on the http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php rate the clarke migs for diy use so if its up to the job why don't you just treat it to some new consumables as £600 won't get you much for a pro user one like cebora, murex and the like. But what ever you do DONT BUY a Sip!

I've had a murex 245 tradesmig for 14 years now and its never let me down and its had a lot of use would never consider another brand. I did buy it new and I am the only one who has ever used it which I think does make a difference