wiring help please!!!!!

hello folks right basically i have got a new centre pod with 8 switchs, winch cut off, radio, cb, and 3 gauges what i would like to do is run one wire from my second battery up to a fuse box of some sort then run all the wire out of fuse box to everything i need like switchs etc. problem i have is i cant seem to find anything that i can run my one main wire into. cause i dont want wires runnin up and down the truck cause other wise there will be like 6 million wires lol. so wanted somesort of fuse box or somthing so i can run one main wire then my other wise off of it safely and all fused. does anyone have any idea? thanks alot casper

I can vouch the the '12 way fuse block' that VWP sell, very good quality. Ref 5026B on their site. Expensive though, and may be a bit overkill for your application. Here it is in my truck:

fusebox.jpg

For what it's worth, when I put a Mudstuff centre console in, I intend to run a dedicated feed to power all my switches. For this I will take a fused spur off my battery to a bus-bar like this:

busbar.jpg

That will give me a dedicated supply for the switches, and much easier than running a seperate fused supply for each switch, which there is no point doing. All it will be powering is the resultant relays, so the current draw will be minimal.

thanks alot for that mate wont just be switchs my 6 work lights will go though it as well u see. just doin somthing like that saves loads of wires running everywhere. so all i will have is my fusebok with all my lights switchs and cb etc wired into it 30 quid aint to bad to be honest at least i hopefully se fire to me truck with meltin wires lol

Not counting the fuses - mine were in the relays themselves or inline, you'll need relays for the spots so go for fused ones - I got a simple earthing block from B&Q (like this, but about 10 terminals) for a couple of quid, and stuck it in a simple plastic box from Maplin. One wire in, 4 fused relays later and job done.

Yes, it looks carp - depends if you care about that. I didn't. As is pretty obvious :)

I'd vote for the 12-way box from VWP, it has one connection for +ve and one for -ve, both of which come out to 12 individual terminals, the positive side being fused. Makes for nice easy & neat connections.

When you do it, you need to make sure the feed to it is of chunky enough wire to handle the max current plus a bit (EG if you turn everything on at once) and also either put a maxi-fuse near the battery for the feed, or just make very sure the feed cable is well protected with sleeving & grommets all the way - a battery cutoff switch might not be a bad idea.

Mine is 16mm² cable with a 100-amp maxi-fuse right near the battery. The fusebox is rated for 100 amps so I figured that was a good bet. Each circuit is rated for 30 amps. It's worth noting that there are actually two positive inputs and one negative. This is so you can have two banks of six circuits from seperate feeds if need be, with a common earth.

I can vouch the the '12 way fuse block' that VWP sell, very good quality. Ref 5026B on their site. Expensive though, and may be a bit overkill for your application. Here it is in my truck:

fusebox.jpg

For what it's worth, when I put a Mudstuff centre console in, I intend to run a dedicated feed to power all my switches. For this I will take a fused spur off my battery to a bus-bar like this:

busbar.jpg

That will give me a dedicated supply for the switches, and much easier than running a seperate fused supply for each switch, which there is no point doing. All it will be powering is the resultant relays, so the current draw will be minimal.

would you need to use relays with this junction box? for spot lights, big air horn, fag lighters etc?

CURLY

P.S i use a juction box like: post-14021-1249376634_thumb.jpg PJ1 on the VWP website. just 2 bolts joined together by a bar in a box.

one fat wire in, and loads of smaller ones out using hoop crimp connectors.

would you need to use relays ... for spot lights

One 100W spot light will pull about 9 amps, and most automotive switches tend to be rated at 10 or 15 amps. If you try to switch a big load with a little switch too often you can end up welding the switch closed :o

One 100W spot light will pull about 9 amps, and most automotive switches tend to be rated at 10 or 15 amps. If you try to switch a big load with a little switch too often you can end up welding the switch closed :o

oooo nice!

so the wires from the fuse box in the pics above will go to the relay 'feed', and a seperate powered switch wire to the relay 'switch' then yes?

just planning what to do before i spend a fortune on un needed wiring..

sorry to hijack the thread by the way.. :unsure:

CURLY

so the wires from the fuse box in the pics above will go to the relay 'feed', and a seperate powered switch wire to the relay 'switch' then yes?

Yep, on a standard relay 30 is the 12V line from the fuse, 85 is earth, 86 is the feed from the switch and 87 goes to the load. A 30 A relay will easily handle 25Ax12V= 300W, 360W at most.