No Lights, Help

Hi all, just driving home tonight and all the lights went off, little bit scary at 40 on a little country lane! I have no side lights no dip beam no high beam and no rear lights, also the dash lights dont come on? Its a 1998 300tdi 90, I have checked all the fuses inside the truck and they appear fine are there any other fuses to check? Any ideas what might of caused this and/or where do I start looking? I have got a multimeter and a basic idea of wireing! Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hi all, just driving home tonight and all the lights went off, little bit scary at 40 on a little country lane! I have no side lights no dip beam no high beam and no rear lights, also the dash lights dont come on? Its a 1998 300tdi 90, I have checked all the fuses inside the truck and they appear fine are there any other fuses to check? Any ideas what might of caused this and/or where do I start looking? I have got a multimeter and a basic idea of wireing! Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Big fuses under the bonnet? The maxi jobs? haven't any newer than 1994 in front of me but off hand is maybe worth a look.

after that maybe the ignition switch and the light switch Brown perm live, red side lights and blue main beams.

Pete

Big fuses under the bonnet? The maxi jobs? haven't any newer than 1994 in front of me but off hand is maybe worth a look.

after that maybe the ignition switch and the light switch Brown perm live, red side lights and blue main beams.

Pete

Cheers pete, i thought there were some fuses under bonnet, I will have a look tomorrow, bit dark now.

I would check the light switch on the steering column. Try wiggling it around when switched to side lights and check if the lights flicker. My first one lasted ~150K miles and the replacement has started to play up.

Cheers, mine has done just over 150k miles, will check that out tomorrow.

Hi

I had the same problem on a 1995 defender 90 and that turned out to be the main light swtich on the steering column. The copper terminal spots wear so you dont get good electrical contact, Has to be said I also made the mistake of buying a cheap switch that didnt last very long. Got a genuine one that has lasted ages and is still going strong.

Hope thats of some help.