help needed..

Badger90

You need to have bought a tacho suitable for use with diesels engines, in that there is no coil to produce a signal to drive a common petrol tacho.

You need to connect the tacho feed to the W terminal on your alternator, then supply it with the same switched power and illumination feeds as the rest of the dash instruments.

oh, and as already said (plenty of quick replies) this has all been covered recently.

yeah i sploke to dad and he there should be terminals on the alternator and there was so wired it on and it worked.. byut on tick over the rev counter sits at 3500rpm lol.. i im guessing i got the wrong one lol

cheers chaps

yeah there is a slider switch "1,2,3,4,5,6,8" and i have have it on 1. but it still sit at 3500rpm..

That number is probably the number of cylinders, you have it set to a 1 cylinder engine.

Set it to 4 (3500/4 = 875) which is about the correct idle speed.

yeah. the higher the number goes the higher the idle sits.. just got a email back from chap i bought it off.. i just got a email back from the chap i bought it off he said its for petrols only... and his admited that he didnt put anythink on the page to say it was for petrols only.. so he going to take it back..

after all that buggering about lol..

cheers guys.

As said, Diesel and Petrol tachos work in completely different ways. A 'Petrol engine' tacho takes a feed from the coil, and will need to know the number of cylinders the engine has, where as a 'Diesel engine' tacho works off one of the unrectified phases of the alternator, the frequency of which is not explicitly related to engine speed, as different engines will have different ratio drive pulleys.

As such, a petrol engine tacho will have a switch to select the number of cylinders, where as a diesel engine tacho will likely have coarse selection switches and a fine tune pot (adjusted with a small screwdriver) to set the scaling between alternator and engine speed.

right.. i sent the old one back. got my new one. the right one. and got it wired in and working..

i adjusted the screw and it fell to bits.. now its not working at all..

im not having much luck with these bloody things lol...

and when the hell did layout change on here?

cheers sam