Td5 "freeflow" exhaust?

Guest diesel_jim

Guest diesel_jim

During the never ending quest for more power from my Td5 (apart from when i can afford a chip & intercooler kit) i was thinking about the exhaust.

people like twisted-animation sell freeflow 2.5" pipes that "give 15bhp" at max revs, and whilst i was skunting around in my garage, i found the old rimmer-brothers stainless 110 V8 pipe i used to have on my hicap. it's only the rear half section, so i'll need to change the silencer and maybe the downpipe, and maybe a bit of welding to get the two parts to meet.

so, question is, what silencer should i use? on my 300 90 i used to have a hollowed out silencer, which was great but too darn noisy! i've since stuck in the V8 silencer from the aformentioned rimmer kit, which seems to "freeflow" just as well as the empty silencer, but sounds quiet..apart from the nice turbo whistle! :D

so i was wondering what the Td5 kit would utilise? i wonder if i could just buy the silencer and maybe downpipe from twisted?

any ideas folks? B)

Save on tyres do the powerflow range of silencers

the Stainless steel may not be the best but they have a vast range of silencers.

I got an 18" oval one fitted to go around the Underdrive, straight through and keeps the noise down nicley

Tony

Have you got any pictures of the scilencer and the size of it. At the moment i have a straight through pipe so that it goes around the PTO and tucks up out the way. However i would like a scilencer back in place of the straight through pipe i have as it gets annoying on long trips but is fun around town being a boy racer.

So any info on prices etc.

Or if anyone else knows of a small scilencer that will fit and reduce the noise of a 2.5 petrol then please speak up.

Appologise for the thread high jack, but there maybe other options too,

Cheers

Jon

Guest diesel_jim

Looks good white90.

is that on a Td5? did you change the downpipe at all?

straight through? but with some baffling if it keeps the noise down?

cheers! :D

from reading other posts ont he topic and my experience a straight through pipe doesnt make that much difference to your vehicles unless its already chipped/tweaked.

i am running an Allisport straight through on my TD5 to replace the exisiting mid silencer, it still has the rear silencer, makes hell of a difference to pickup low down and now its sooted up a bit isin't too loud.

Tonys system is a good match and could be the way forward for you John.

Diesel _ Jim i would suggest just a straight through pipe to start with (let it soot up then noise will drop) however i dont honestly think you will see +15bhp!

Guest diesel_jim

Cheers for all the info lads. think i'll fit the stainless rear section i've got and get a "free-er" silencer... i don't like getting headaches on long drives!

Jim i had the same people as Tony fabricate a straight pipe replacement for my centre silencer box to be perfectly honnest it made very little difference either to performance or noise!

a few of the boys on the AULRO board have fitted 3" systems to their TD5's, and all swear it's well worth it. One of the blokes used no muffler, but subsequently fitted a Hot Dog type resonator to his system. Most exhaust places here use 3" pipe. With our climate, stainless is wasted, so most everyone just uses aluminised tube. It'll damn near last as long as your vehicle.

I just fabbed up a 3" mandrel bend system for the 300Tdi in the Crew Cab last weekend, sans muffler and the bottom end spool up, plus the ability to finally be able to rev (easily) past 3-3500 was worth it. This was a stock tune Tdi. I came off the turbo dump pipe in 2.5", and about 1.5" down flared some 2.5" up to 3" at @ 15* angle to create a small cone. Also relieved the cast dump pipe/housing a little internally to match the flange and 2.5" pipe. After tweaking the pump, the performance is bloody unbelievable. A resonator of some description will be going on, it's a touch too........well.......loud with a heavy right foot.....(must be getting old... :ph34r: ) and a little drony.

The TD5 system is 63.5mm/2.5" from the factory, stepping down in section near the rear resonator, and the 300Tdi system is 60mm. On my OE system, where the pipe was welded to the flange (at the dump pipe) the internal weld bead restricted the cross sectional area to 2"x2.125". It's now 2.375"

BTW, the centre silencer on the 300Tdi is a straight through design.

I don't think you'll notice anything by using 2.5" pipe, I think it needs 70mm at a mimimum (3"/76mm is much easier to find here), particularly on a 110 or 130 to get any performance gain, and that will be most noticeable in much quicker turbo spool up.

The big thing I did notice was a huge reduction in EGT's on my 2.5km long/200m climb test hill with the 3" system. In the past it has peaked at 623*, and regularly get between 604-611* (never below 603*). I deliberately held 4th @ 100km/h past the crest and all I got to was 580* on a 29*C day.

the films still in the camera Tony. When I get it processed and scanned.

None of that new fangled digi stuff in this household (yet ;))

a couple of other observations.

I could never rev past 85km/h in third. (255/85's) It just stopped. Now it will rev easily to 100km/h (and that was before the pump tweak) I suspect the extra length of a 130 system was just too much restriction.

Before the pump tweak, maximum boost was 15.5 psi, but it would 'float' around a bit (back to 14.5) and would fall away very quickly on any sort of incline in 5th. It now sits rock solid on 16 psi (and I didn't touch the wastegate) and doesn't drop wth any sort of throttle, and it gets to maximum boost very,very quickly/early in the rev range.

Hi everybody

I'm new to this forum, was a member on the old LRe forum for a while.

Couldn't help but notice this post after what a mate has done. Free flow it certainly is:

100_0005.JPG

I apologise about the picture size if it's too big for anyone.

The stacker is an Eminox one off of a Scania truck. He's removed both silencers and the cat and replaced them with flexi-hose! The cat was the most recent modification and made it a lot noisier!

The flexi is not ideal but it's passed an MoT, no problems with emissions. He reckons, combined with the k&n filter :unsure:, the truck does go well. It is too loud on a long journey and I personally don't think it goes much different to a normal TD5. It does sound good though and has no other mods at present.

Merc