Ignition Barrel Changed

J@mes

Just changed my ignition barrel for a Bearmach one and now the car wont start.

all plugs are in, electrics come on just that when I try to turn the key to start, a red key symbol comes up on the dash.

what is it, and how do I get round it? Didnt think anything else needed doing when fitting a new barrel or are they linked to the immobiliser somehow other than the exciter ring?

quick please, I'm in the middle of doing it!

cheers :)

Now not working again. checked all wiring and its all fine, but again - the electrics all come on but the car wont start.

is there some kind of technique to it? tried locking and leaving for a short while but that's not working. I have had the battery off since the last time which is the only thing I have done different.

HELP!!!

Dose the engine turnover but will not start ? if nothing ie the starter dose not turn then I would look at the immobiliser exciter ring around the ing, switch and also the wire from the switch to the starter.

As per Mr Bag - sounds like the passive immobiliser isn't working so you either forgot to plug it in or broke it when you had it off. Must be around the ignition barrel or it won't work. As you have found you can un-immobilise the vehicle by unlocking it.

Sorted again now, not sure what the problem was but after removing the column cowling it now starts again. So I've put it all back together again and it's still fine.

guess there must have been part of the cowling upsetting one of the harness plugs.

Nice easy job to do - didn't need to remove the steering wheel or stalks as suggested in other threads - just the cowling and lower the column to its lowest position!

cheers!