Disco 300tdi engine into 110

Thanks Western.

Do I take it from that that the Disco has a different gearbox? I understood that the both had the R380, but that the Disco gearstick layout was different, that is why I'm only doing the straight engine swap. Basically a 300 replacing a 300. I would have thought that a 1996 into a 1998 300tdi would be a straight swap.

Sorry if I read your reply wrongly.

It's fairly straightforward - most annoying bit is the bracket that holds on the defender air cleaner - it's bolted on with two of the head bolts.

Thanks

Won't be doing anything with the head, its a running engine (mine was kaput) so just want to do a straight swap. So I'm assuming no difficulties if I split it from the disco gearbox & just push it straight into the 110. Also assuming the mountings etc all match ok.

as he said, the defender airbox is attached to a bracket thats under the headbolts. So you will need to find some other method of supporting the air cleaner.

It will bolt streight in otherwise as its a R380 equipped landrover already.

There may be some differences on the anciliary drive, but you have both engines so you can swap any brackets etc over if need be.

as he said, the defender airbox is attached to a bracket thats under the headbolts. So you will need to find some other method of supporting the air cleaner.

It will bolt streight in otherwise as its a R380 equipped landrover already.

There may be some differences on the anciliary drive, but you have both engines so you can swap any brackets etc over if need be.

Thanks very much for that.

I haven't seen the Disco engine yet (it's in my brothers place) so I'm talking a little in the dark. You say the Defender box held on with the head bolts (as mine was) does that mean the Disco is held on some other way? Do they take the same filter elements?

Anyone got a link to a Disco manual online with engine drawings/details?

Really appreciate all your help :)

Thanks very much for that.

I haven't seen the Disco engine yet (it's in my brothers place) so I'm talking a little in the dark. You say the Defender box held on with the head bolts (as mine was) does that mean the Disco is held on some other way? Do they take the same filter elements?

Anyone got a link to a Disco manual online with engine drawings/details?

Really appreciate all your help smile.gif

you can download the RAVE manuals from here scroll to bottom of page to find them

Thanks guys.

I now see what you mean

Defender - round box attached to head

Disco - Square flat filter mounted passenger side front.

I want to retain the Defender box because of snorkle. I don't want to have to crack two bolts on the replacement head to mount this.

So has anyone adapted a mounting or come up with a solution as to how to hold it other than on the head bolts?

Or

Can I crack just those two head bolts, cut a U grove into the mounting holes, slip under the head bolts & re torque without causing any problems.

Sorry for being a pain I just want to have the result sorted before we actually tackle the job.

I did exactly what you want to do with my 300Tdi 110. As noted above, the engine is a direct replacement. The Disco alternator has a larger diameter pulley than the Defender, but is of no consequence if you aren't driving a rev counter. You will need to remember that the serpentine belt is for a Disco rather than a Defender.

The air box was solved very simply - I measured the torque of the two head bolts; removed them; fitted the Defender air box bracket; refitted the head bolts and re-torqued. They are on the outer row, so may not be critical to sealing the cylinders. The engine has done over 40k miles like that without a problem.

It is worth changing the cam belt while the engine is out (unless you know the history of the Disco engine and the job was done recently). What condition is your clutch, and in particular the release arm? Much easier to sort out while the engine bay is empty.

The radiator & intercooler assembly appears to be the same on the Disco & Defender, so worth keeping. Not sure about the exhaust down pipe, but could be worth checking. I would also keep the vacuum pump off the Defender engine (if it is in good working order). There may be other bits worth salvaging.

Thanks very much DaveSIIA

That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Had planned to change timing belt & their seals etc. Also to do the clutch & release arm at the same time (parts being ordered) as well as the rear Crank Seal. As you said much easier while out rather than having to go back in there again.

My own 110 alternator was recently reconditioned so will be using that, was aware that there was a difference in the pulleys and I do have a rev counter.

Any new bits I had for the 110 , water pump, egr removal, new water pipes etc will also be moved.

Why do you mention the vacum pump?

Really appreciate on the air box, that was one of my biggest worries.

Thanks DaveSIIA

Nothing is being thrown away. Anything thats new or I've refurbished on my engine will go across & nothing will be thrown away. Will clean and store carefully everything I take off & at some stage get around to getting the block checked out so I have spares. My son also has a 110 so parts will come in handy.

Also intend taking the axles, & transmission box off the Disco with the intent of reuse, particularly the trans box for using in mine.

Thanks for everyones help.