is there an ecu on a R plate disco ?

garymorris

Hello folks ,

I,ve bought an R plate 300 tdi auto as a donor vehicle , I'm removing the engine , box and axles ready to stick in to a galv chassis , does anybody know if the're is an ecu or similar tucked away anywhere ?

Cheers

Gary

fairly sure there is on the later ones

Maybe...I think it's about that time that they changed.

Easy to tell...the later electronic types will have no throttle cable, wires to the injectors, an AFM and probably a few other bits I can't think of just at the mo.

If it is electronic, there will be an ECU, but you can retrofit the earlier type of injection pump that is entirely mechanical if you so wish.

Almost certainly will have an ECU, as change over was 1996 I believe.

Just to add there is a throttle type cable running from the pedal towards the injection pump but it is for the Kickdown. Only one injector has wires (the one nearest the bulkhead). ECU is behind the offside kickpanel below the dash.

Easy enough to swap the injection pump for a mechanical one.

Pete.

Hi, just changed a 300 in my R reg auto the ecu is inside the drivers footwell, if its not going into a edc controled disco you will need to fit a 'standard' mechanicle type pump some later pumps have immoberliser fitted as well :blink: if thats the case smash the back part off & fit a new fuel stop selinoid

hope that helps

John

Thanks for that ,I'll have a look tomorrow as the vehicle is at work :ph34r: , looks like the best thing to do is to replace the injector pump to a mechanical one :) seeing as I'm going to fit the engine and box in to a defender

Thanks once again

Gary

morning , I've just had a look and injector nearest bulkhead has got wire on it :unsure: also had a look under the dash and voila a silver box in the kickpanel drivers side :blink:

Spose I better get on the lookout for a mechanical injector pump :)

Does anybody know what other bits and bobs I'll need or is it just the pump ? :unsure:

Cheers

Gary

Or you could keep the ECU + electronic gubbins...You will get the benefit of an electronically controlled engine with more accurate timing etc...

James ,

I'm going to fit the engine and box in to a defender galv chassis and would like to keep it simple and tbh I'm not keen on ecu's etc .

Cheers

Gary