Mid silencer replacement

Evening all!

Another question for the forum, i have replace the rear silencer on my 90 station wagon with a straight through side exit exhaust.

However.....

The mid box has just started blowing!

what would be the inplications of putting another staight pipe to replace the mid box? and having no silencers at all?

Cheers

Neil

if its a road going vehicle you may find it too loud. my td5 with rear silencer and straight through mid was just about OK but i wouldn't want no silencers on it. the tgv runs a straight through system although its quite thick steel and that works well but then it doesnt do many road miles.

i had the same issue as you with my 300tdi,

tore off the back box and fab'd up a replacement pipe with no silencer. Following weekend tore a hole in the mid box on a rock. cut it off and fitted a replacement straight pipe in its place.

i've subsequently built a new system with no CAT, no boxes or silencers and its completely straight - bar a small curve over the back axle with a slight twist at the top to negotiate the left hand chassis rail next to bumpstop and it exits under the outside left crossmember. All in 2.5" tube. :D

before i removed the cat - but with no silencers - absolutely fine. little bit more noise but not much. certainly not too intrusive and unless you gunned it you wouldnt have known.

now completely unrestricted and in wider pipe and virtually straight - ermmm, bit more 'snorting and bellowing' when on full boost at high revs when driven enthusiastically and i get some 'booming' at 65mph on the motorway (but above 70 it goes away), but when driven normally its fine.

however, with no cat and no silencers and as straight a pipe as possibly - significant reduction in turbo lag. Turbo appears to spool up at lower revs (no rev counter to check tho) and spools up to full boost much quicker. :lol: