Camping Stove / Oven / Fire

Ian M

im looking at buying the above,

now ive seen one that bert has, oven shaped, on 3 legs, chimney, door on the side of the oven, swiveling hot plate on the top. not sure where he had it from?

can anyone else recommend one? or got one?

Ian

Might be a slight logistic problem.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AGA-RAYBURN-NOUVELLE-OIL-FIRED-BOILER-COOKER_W0QQitemZ260468904298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Ovens_Hobs_Cookers?hash=item3ca528116a

After seeing Berts (Oz Pig)I have been thinking about converting a gas bottle. A guy had one at Newark with three sections of straight exhaust for a chimney.

Made mine out of a gas bottle, i wanted one 16" in diameter so i can store it in the spare tyre (going to have a spare wheel and tyre and a spare tyre on it's own)

used one of the big gas bottles as they are 15 and a half inches in diameter, made removable feet for it out of angle steel too so i can safely have fires without scorching or setting the ground alight.

drilled some 10mm holes for ventilation then had a good fire in it to burn the paint off before painting it with high temperature BBQ paint.

also made a lid so i can use it as an oven.

it works very well, and gives off some good heat. i also found the steel in the gas bottles is loads thicker than the shop bought stuff which is very overpriced (IMHO)

one word of warning though to anyone attempting this: make sure the gas bottles are empty, then fill them with water BEFORE grinding or drilling into them, i hear they go with quite a bang if not done properly!

• 2 weeks later...