rear crossmember recovery point

hobson

Oooh, definitely how not to do it! i was going to use some 4mm galv plate i have as a backing plate, possibly even bolting that through the crossmember too in each corner (with smaller bolts)

i generally prefer to over engineer things, especially with bits like recovery points.

but based on the feedback i think i'll just go with the jate rings... :)

.....unless someone has a better idea for a recovery point? (can of worms now re-opened!)

Well, 2 pages of opinions for a simple towing hook! I used to have a towbar for this, but then replaced it for a pin style thingy, because the tow rope could come off and Catapult to the other car. I cant see the towbar ball thing ever breaking, but the slipping off problem is major problem for me.

I dont think the lift eyes are particularly good myself, the working load is for a straight pull, so , if the pull is sideways, its nowhere near as strong.

A closed loop works (i have these welded on the front), but the problem with these is that you need a shackle to connect your rope. Especially with events, when someone is stuck and already has their towrope layed out, it only takes 2 seconds to hook on and give him/her a pull with the pin type connection and carry on.

The Nato hook does the same thing, but have you tried lifting them off the ground? They are just to heavy for what we are trying to do.

Daan