Early Discovery

Peter

I've come across an interestingly good condition early Discovery, with what can only be said has an unusually low mileage, and one owner from new (ex demo) FSH. Hey and the seats have not sagged yet.

The present owner thinks its one of the 1st 500 off the production line.

Does anyone know the numbers on the VIN of the 1st off the production line (assume it would be a GWAC) and would give an indication of where LR started with the vin numbers.

Also do we take it the earliest 200tdi engine was numbered as 12L00001A this might give a better indicator to its true lineage. However it might not depends how LR did the assigning of engines.

I know what the SALLJGBF7F stands for on the VIN - Europe Disco1 3dr 200tdi RHD 1989. And guess the GA stands for Gaydon, and then I have a 6 digit number.

I know of another slightly later model, that was not a 1st garage demo vehicle which after the GA is something like:

SALLJGBF7GA448880

Could someone confirm what the earliest VIN number of the production Disco's was.

BTW have spoken to Dunsfold, and they suggest I cough up 35 notes to get details from Gaydon. Hmm.

Cheers

Peter

Thansk Karlo

SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover

LJ Model: Discovery, 200 Series (1989-1994) or 300 Series (1994-1998)

G Wheel base: 100 inch

B Body type: 2-door station wagon, or hard top

F Engine type: 2.5 litre Tdi diesel, model 11L (200Tdi) or model 16L (300Tdi)

7 Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)

G Model year: 1990

A Assembly location: Solihull, UK

The above is the bit that's known, and the last 6 digits is the serial number. But there certainly doubt there were as many as 450,000 made in the first few months. By a process of elimination I know of another early Disco that had its VIN serial number that was: 44**70

This ones VIN is 40**80

Which by process of elimination might mean the 1st number 4 is ? a code.

The next 4 digits is the chassis number production so 001 was first and 999 last of the 2nd to last 1000 made i.e 4000010 being the first.

Just need someone with a GWAC or another early demo model to give roughly their last 4 VIN numbers, if I am actually in the right 'ball park' with this estimation.

Incidently it was 1st reg Nov'89 so assume year letter is for the G-reg year from 1st September'89 to 31st August '90 hence model year know as G.

And from the vehicle reg locator (http://www.wolfbane.com/vreg.htm) which uses the last 2 digits of the number plate to show its location (upto 2001) that it came from the LR dealer location the owner said it was from.

Whilst I could easily contact Gaydon, think it more fun and interesting to do some leg work myself.

Of course the final question I have to ask all you Discovery owners is (having never even driven one myself yet - but did attend Motor show of '89 just to see it). Do you think its worth buying this vehicle, and if it is one of the 1st 500 off the production line have any value to collectors ? Its too good to just become another rotting wreck, i.e has no rust yet, and interior is like new, no sagging seats or lifting trim.

Cheers

Peter

Not particularily early, but I had a 'G' reg Disco first registered June 1990 and the VIN was 43**20, so I would say the 44**70 can't be that early.

I was told my was an early one due to the bonnet release being on the right hand side, RR style, I don't know how true that is? Mine was pretty tatty when I got it and after 4 years of hard off roading it has now been resigned to Discovery Heaven.

I would say any early Disco in good condition has got to be worth looking after - just think of how many pre-1973 Range Rovers are around, mind you it's still got to be really good to be worth anything. I was at the 1989 Motor Show, but I only remember the Mazada MX5 and Ferrari F40 as being 'stand out'. I do like the purity of the early Discos though, comfy, crisp styling and no frills.

so I would say the 44**70 can't be that early.

PB

The motor show was the one where they had the cut in half sideways Disco - the guard said I was not allowed to touch - hey am still a rebel ;-)

Yeah I know, 44**70 that was the later one (that is a mint one too BTW), one I've been looking at is the 40**80 one, cheers for your reply.

I suppose if the USA and Belgium 25 year rule carries on I will have to wait another 6 years before its legal to export to those countries (assuming laws don't change - which they might).

Peter

The serial number is always 6 digits. From the above I suspect it started at 400000 for the very early pre production models and the production models probably started a few hundred in depending on how many they blew up / crashed / got wrecked by journalists out of the prepro vehicles.

So 448800 is about 48000 into the production run - early but not that early. A 400xxx will be one of the first few hundred.

BM maybe, but the serial number of the engine on the 40xx80 is also in the sub 500 i.e. pre 12L00500A

The other later one engine is up in the 12L10500A range, so agree that one which is for comparison is up in the 10,000th vehicle range. Still a G-reg but ordered after the 5% price increase LR put on the Disco in that model year.

Unless of course the 2nd 4 in the serial number is also a code, the would put the 2nd one only a few hundred nearer the other.

I suppose the only answer is to get more serial numbers from owners of early models or contact Gaydon.

Wonder if there is anyone on here who could post this question on DOC forum - there's goto be someone on there who would know at least.

In the back before the index of : "Land Rover the unbeatable 4x4" 3rd edition had the production figures for each year. Anyone got a later edition with the 1989/90 production run for the Disco1 - kinda remember there was a lot of them.

Just found the production figures here:

http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.LR_production.html

See table at bottom of that webpage. So can't be +40,000 between them.

Cheers

Peter