Land Rover Camper - Azalia - and the cost of RTW tours

tweetyduck

OK so the leading contender now is. Its significantly cheaper than the Azalai. A bit less functional but only requires me to get a 110 station waggon.

Picture of interior

Movies of LR with conversion

Available Modules

Any thoughts?

Neill,

That looks like a much better idea than the Azalia. I guess next steps is to go and see them and start designing the interior of the 110. And start looking for a decent 110 to do a conversion on. Having seen the kit it would be easier to decide on 3 or 5 door 110. And this will also make for a cheaper or easier to get hold of vehicle as the second hand market has gone crazy at the moment.

TJ

• 2 weeks later...

This is the plan (see link below)and is what i'm doing on a 300TDi. The Azalai is just too expensive.

This is the dogs.....

To be honest its overpriced as i think £35K - £40K would buy you a new one based on new 300Tdi rebuild. Not that i have that kind of money so i'm doing the cheapo version.

This is the plan (see link below)and is what i'm doing on a 300TDi. The Azalai is just too expensive.

This is the dogs.....

To be honest its overpriced as i think £35K - £40K would buy you a new one based on new 300Tdi rebuild. Not that i have that kind of money so i'm doing the cheapo version.

Following this with interest. Shame that a stripped out body in GRP like the Azalai body isn't available for DIY'ers..

Witham SV have a Defender 130 ambulance for £9,500 but it doesn't push any buttons for me

Following this with interest. Shame that a stripped out body in GRP like the Azalai body isn't available for DIY'ers..

Witham SV have a Defender 130 ambulance for £9,500 but it doesn't push any buttons for me

Looked at the ambulance but the headroom isn't there for me. I did seriously consider one though!

I have been in converted ones that were members of some club. I saw them in the peterborough show (and spent 20mins getting the run down from one nice guy and his wife). I looked at one for sale afterward from somewhere in dealer land (can't remember who though, sorry). They seem OK, but as i understand it, they are normally petrol V8 so this is no good for me. No idea if they come in 300Tdi and stand to be corrected. I'd say they could be a good choice but they're not for me and what i'm doing. (also too tall for shipping containers possibly?)

The one in my last post is where i'm aiming. If i could afford it i'd actually buy it as its exactly what i want. Your choice is yours. PM me if you want to know the process i have gone through so far as i'm really new to this so should be able to point you at the things you need to find out. Best way it to search here and read. Triple digits of manhours doing reasearch, work cancelled and this is my entire life! Iv'e spent about 20 hours on the phone talking to people in the four corners and in the UK. If you think this is easy, it isn't.

Looked at the ambulance but the headroom isn't there for me. I did seriously consider one though!

I have been in converted ones that were members of some club. I saw them in the peterborough show (and spent 20mins getting the run down from one nice guy and his wife). I looked at one for sale afterward from somewhere in dealer land (can't remember who though, sorry). They seem OK, but as i understand it, they are normally petrol V8 so this is no good for me. No idea if they come in 300Tdi and stand to be corrected. I'd say they could be a good choice but they're not for me and what i'm doing. (also too tall for shipping containers possibly?)

The one in my last post is where i'm aiming. If i could afford it i'd actually buy it as its exactly what i want. Your choice is yours. PM me if you want to know the process i have gone through so far as i'm really new to this so should be able to point you at the things you need to find out. Best way it to search here and read. Triple digits of manhours doing reasearch, work cancelled and this is my entire life! Iv'e spent about 20 hours on the phone talking to people in the four corners and in the UK. If you think this is easy, it isn't.

The trouble with the ambulance is although much work appears to be done it straightaway forces some compromises. I am now most likely to go down an entirely DIY route, accepting all possible pitfalls and learning curves. I'm only looking at short trips relatively close to home. First I've got an 80" series 1 which I need to decide what to do with. Difficult: camper or series :(

Well I think I may have mentioned that just a few years ago I had and converted a rather nice 127 / 130 Locomotors bodied ambulance that had come straight out of RAF service.

I rather like them. The V8 can be ditched for a 300Tdi. The coachwork is built well (being flat aluminium panels means they are easily repaired), are not overly heavy and it is possible to get around the headroom issue by a number of means. They certainly offer more room and obviously more headroom than a standard bodied vehicle.

Snow.jpg

DSCF2186a.jpg

int.jpg

The above photo shows the interior before I opened up the over-cab area.

BTW: I presume the some club was the 127 / 130 ambulance owners & enthusiast register.

int.jpg

Now thats just lovely. :P

Did you do the interior? Thats almost exactly what i'm going to do in the 110. My units will nearly come up to the roof and the top surface will only be accessable when the roof is popped. Love to see it!

Opened up over the cab? Could this actually be made into bed area (feet) and extend the borads into the main body? Store the bed boards in the space over the cab when not in use?

Now thats just lovely. :P

Did you do the interior? Thats almost exactly what i'm going to do in the 110. My units will nearly come up to the roof and the top surface will only be accessable when the roof is popped. Love to see it!

Opened up over the cab? Could this actually be made into bed area (feet) and extend the borads into the main body? Store the bed boards in the space over the cab when not in use?

Yes I did the lot using German lightweight faced ply bought from a conversion company not too far away. As it stands the overcab area is big enough for a medium sized child but not adult. The table was removable and that area converted into a large double bed.

Nice ambulance conversion MOG. My problem is the kids need forward facing seats so I'd have to hack away quite a bit of useful structure to accommodate them, Leaving them home alone wouldn't be an option

If you were to do as I did and strip out all the ambulance fittings you are left with an empty cube. With that in mind fitting forward facing seats, footwells and anchor points into the chassis etc would not be too problematic and no more so than doing the same in the back of a HT 90 or 110.

If you were to do as I did and strip out all the ambulance fittings you are left with an empty cube. With that in mind fitting forward facing seats, footwells and anchor points into the chassis etc would not be too problematic and no more so than doing the same in the back of a HT 90 or 110.

I had another look, you are quite right, it doesn't look so hideous. What are the roof/sides made of? Is it aluminium over ply or just aluminium?

Not hideous at all :rolleyes: The bodies are built an extruded aluminium frame clad in aluminium both sides with insulated infill.

Err, sorry, I didn't mean the Ambulance was hideous, I meant the job of converting didn't look so hideous. Don't want to blot my copybook here before I have got my L plates off! Sorry. :)

Thanks for explaining the body construction

Err, sorry, I didn't mean the Ambulance was hideous, I meant the job of converting didn't look so hideous. Don't want to blot my copybook here before I have got my L plates off! Sorry. :)

Thanks for explaining the body construction

I know what you meant ;) The Locomotors ambulances are basically a box body dropped onto the back of a truck cabbed 127 / 130 chassis. The sloping front section above the screen and fairings down the sides actually enclose the truck cab itself. The slightly earlier marshal bodied version are similar but without the captive truck cab.