tdi coolant question

JST

i am running a 200tdi. i wish to git a 300tdi header tank.

the 200 has a small pipe from the top LHS (viewed from front) of the radiator that goes into the top of the current metal expansion tank.

the 300tdi has this same small pipe going to a Y piece that then goes to the expansion tank and the thermostate housing.

can i plumb the small pipe from the top LHS of the radiator straight into the bottom of the 300tdi expansion tank?

what does this small pipe do, is it to aid the bleeding of the system (let air out) or is it there to allows some of the fluid to cycle through the expansion tank.

Will the pipe going into the bottom of the expansion tank, rather than the top (above water level) make any difference?

many thanks for your help

so, small pipe from top of rad to bottom of expansion tank then?

Yep, just like mine has in this picture as promised :D seems to work OK, not had any overheating or overspill problems, genuine factory built 200's had this tank from new.

IMG_0838.jpg

Ralph,

many thanks. i have plumbed mine the same, took it for a spin and whilst thermostate opened and rad warmed up the expansion tank didnt get hot/warm, so just wondered if i had it right, i guess a longer run will tell.

i did get it upto working temp though and ran it there for 10mins so would have thought things may have warmed through.

thank you for the help.

The pipe is a air bleed pipe. With it connected as per pic, as system cools it will draw in more fluid. If the connection was above the fluid level, as the engine cooled it would draw in air.

• 1 year later...
Guest WALFY
Yep, just like mine has in this picture as promised :D seems to work OK, not had any overheating or overspill problems, genuine factory built 200's had this tank from new.

IMG_0838.jpg

That is the same setup that I have in my 90. I've got a Disco TDI, no problems yet.