Any help folks

dgp1957

Hi

I'm new on this forum, my name is David, I am looking to buy a 4x4 in the next couple of months, I really fancy buying a defender, but one of my friends drives a Jeep and is always going on about how much more the Jeep can do over the Defender.

I plan to use the car for commuting up and down to glasgow to work (25 miles each way), and he has told me that the Defender would be very uncomfortable used in that context, however, I also plan to start driving offroad, that brings me to my second question, are there any 4x4 clubs in the Inverclyde area or around Glasgow?

Thirdly, and lastly, my budget is going to be around 3 to 4000 pounds for the car, wil I pick up a reasonable defender for this sort of money?

Any help you can give me on these points would be greatly appreciated folks.

David :blink:

I drive my 1984 90 (pre-Defender) 33.5 miles to work and then 33.5 miles back again everyday along the motorway. Its not as bad as people make out, but then i guess that everyone has a different comfort threshold. Mine is a ragtop with the old style seats (no headrests) and no power steering. However its warm, fairly draft free, drives nicely, and makes a lovely exhaust sound. :D You can even hear the stereo if you turn it up to 23 out of 32 :blink:

Straight out of the factory there is no more capable 4x4 than a Defender. It's the world's best Meccano set too. After 2 hours undoing a few bolts and swapping parts you can have a soft top, pick up, station wagon or truck cab, you can't do that with a J**p. There is also a massive market for off-the-shelf replacement parts and upgrades, and a thriving second-hand market, meaning exceptionally low depreciation.

The driving position in a Defender is not perfect, you're a little close to the side window, and legroom isn't great, but you do sit upright which helps.

I'm short (5' 7'') and fat (14 stone), but regularly run 150 miles up to North Wales, and have no problems with comfort in a 1989 poverty spec truck. You're mate sounds like a pub expert with an opinion on everything (in a nice way, natch), why not try a Defender for yourself and see what you think.

Everyone here will tell you to buy one (or a Disco which can be just as capable, and cheaper too), it's then just a question of size (90, 110, 130) body type and engine

Why not have a nosey at a few trucks, and let us know the details, there are plenty out there. Have a day spectating and chatting at somewhere like Scotoffroad. You'll soon see what a real 4x4 can do.

My £0.02

Chris.

Everyone here will tell you to buy one (or a Disco which can be just as capable, and cheaper too)

I won't - they are an acquired taste, and you really have to WANT a Defender (or any LR for that matter) as they really don't make sense most of the rest of the time.

So, best advice is find a club FIRST, go to a few meets, get as many rides in different vehicles as you can and find out if you can live with the "comfort" "economy" and "reliability".

Frankly a Disco or Range Rover is just as good as a Defender off-road (sometimes better thanks to more power & traction control, etc.) and you get more vehicle for your money. £4k buys a LOT of RR or Disco compared to a Defender.

There are far more Defenders around than Wranglers yet a £4000 Wrangler will be newer, lower mileage and better condition than a £4000 Defender. What does that tell you about popular opinion regarding the better car? ;)

My own opinion is, if you want a car to commute in, buy a Fiesta or something and a seperate off-roader. Try to combine the two and you will always be paranoid about breaking the 4x4 at the weekend and having to get the train, your suit will always be muddy/oily and you will spend a lot on maintenance. ...either that or you don't use the car at the weekend. Been there, tried it and found it lacking.

Chris